Yeast overgrowth under skin folds

Mcbob84
on 8/15/14 12:41 pm

I am in the process of heading towards the weight loss surgery. I've lost 72 lbs so far since my heaviest weight and 38 in the last 2.5 months. Anyway I have a terrible yeast infection under some of the folds of skin I am now accruing and it is very painful. I am hoping for some helpful suggestions on combatting it as my journey continues. Thanks so much Tamara

jessica1371
on 8/16/14 1:02 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

Every now and then I've gotten that.... keeping the skin DRY is the main key to preventing yeast rashes. Use a hair blow dryer when after your shower, as rubbing it can hurt.  When I had a flair up the only thing that seemed to work was anti-fungal ointment.  Powders can get "cakey" under the folds.

**** BIGGEST THING **** Document!!  Take pictures,  keep receipts of everything you buy to treat and prevent it. Make sure your doctor documents it every time you get it. This will be what you need for insurance approval when you go in for plastic surgery. My insurance company told me plastic surgery was not covered.. HOWEVER if it is medically necessary (AKA to prevent rashes)... it would be covered! 

Good luck!!

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

Valerie G.
on 8/16/14 2:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Have your doctor start documenting it.  This could be a start towards insurance-paid plastic surgery.

I got this underneath my breasts before I lost my weight.  For treating it, get some atheletes foot or jock itch cream and apply twice daily.  Tuck paper towels in the folds to absorb the moisture through the day.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mcbob84
on 8/16/14 3:11 pm

Thank you very much.

Hislady
on 8/16/14 4:43 am - Vancouver, WA

If it is indeed a yeast infection you may need a prescription medication to clear it up  and while you are at the docs get it documented like the others said. Have them take pics if they can or take your own too.

MickeyDee
on 8/16/14 5:31 pm

My PCP recommended Zeasorb Anti-fungal products--your choice between powder or ointment, whichever works best for you.

Withdog1
on 8/16/14 11:36 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 05/08/12

I used the same thing Zeasorb Anti-fungal power and in 3 days I stop itching and the rash started to go away.  

NHPOD9
on 8/16/14 9:33 pm

I don't know how close to surgery you are, but my advice would be to see a doc to see if any prescription meds need to be proscribed. My surgery was almost cancelled because of a yeast infection. There I was in my hospital gown, waiting to be pushed into surgery, listening to nurses debate whether it was safe. It was very stressful at the time.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

MsBatt
on 8/17/14 1:54 am

The thing I find most effective at preventing it is spraying the area with deodorant. I prefer Degree Powder Fresh, for the powder.

Mcbob84
on 8/18/14 7:05 am

Thank you all for the suggestions

Most Active