3.5 Weeks Post Op - Not tolerating Food All of a Sudden

Livingsyngle
on 8/14/14 6:50 am - Windham, ME

Hello all, I had my surgery on 7/21/2014 and did great for the majority of the first 3 weeks!! At the end of week three I started to not be able to tolerate foods anymore.. felt like a huge air bubble in my chest!! Than it started with liquids (but only sometimes) and I always have a little "gurgle" noise after drinking, accompanied by a little burp and often times hiccups!! However it doesn't always happen and I can take my PPI and vitamins/calcium and chew and swallow those with no issue!! I've contacted my nurse/surgeon and I'm scheduled to have an endoscopy next week (Thursday) to check for a stricture!! But next Thursday feels like such a long ways away and I'm feeling myself getting the "blues" as I've been put back on Stage 1 foods (and can only tolerate clear liquids, no puree or mushy).

At the end of week two I also should mention that out of the blue after taking a sip of a protein shake with some SF flavored syrup in it I felt nauseous (I only took two sips and didn't like the taste so I dumped it). Within a half hour I was nauseous and than started dry heaving. I thought I was maybe dumping off the sugar alcohol in the SF syrup and waited. After 3.5hrs I called the on call surgeon and they told me to go to the ER. I dry heaved to the point of almost passing out until I was seen and given some anti nausea meds. These lasted about 2hrs and than the dry heaving came back just as bad so they tried a new med and a GI ****tail which seems to have done the trick. Because I had no palpable pain or other symptoms they saw no reason at this time to do any further testing. I ate soft foods (more out of fear after my experience) for a couple days, than ate Stage 2 foods for two days (with no issue****il my experience above happened!!

With all the dry heaving could I have done some damage?? Anyone have any insight?? Or go thru something similar?? A week is just feels like a longgggggg ways away for any time of reassurance!! Please tell me this gets better!!!

Valerie G.
on 8/14/14 7:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Forget the ER people.  Get with your surgeon and get to the bottom of this.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Livingsyngle
on 8/14/14 7:37 am - Windham, ME

Yes I have!! It was 11pm on a Sunday night when I went in, and one of the surgeons who works on my surgeons team DID come and evaluate me, but they still thought it was nothing (my surgeon has been on vacation for TWO weeks) and when I spoke with the nurse she said they don't like to do endoscopys within the first month due to swelling. So next Thursday is the day of my endoscopy and my 1 month anniversary!! Hoping to get some answers!!

Thank you for your response!! :) I'm so bummed.. I was feeling SO great... had so much energy and was walking 2miles a day!!

Valerie G.
on 8/15/14 12:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Just remember that sometimes you gotta be a ***** to get to the bottom of things.  If you're still feeling badly, do NOT accept a shrug of their shoulders as an acceptable answer.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Livingsyngle
on 8/15/14 1:01 am - Windham, ME

hahah... I like that train of thought!!!

and I know I have to get past that feeling of... because they have a PhD that they are holier than thou and know more than me!! I own that and am definitely going to have to bring out the "beast mode" in me!! :)

HLen
on 8/15/14 3:00 am
RNY on 07/11/14

This was happening to me.. But not as extreme.  I had my 5 week appt today and we found out I have post nasal drip that is filling up my pouch over night causing nausea, vomiting phlegm, and not tolerating foods in the am.  So I do liquids for breakfasts for now, very slow and then I can do soft foods for lunch and dinner.   

I know those feelings, that pain in the middle of your chest, the dry heaves, etc.  I feel for you.  

Just keep on the Dr until you get an answer.  Luckily 3 weeks, you probably are just still healing and hopefully it shouldn't be major. 

Good luck.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Livingsyngle
on 8/15/14 3:20 am - Windham, ME

Thanks HLen!! 

While I'm sorry you had problems as well, there is always a little comfort in knowing you aren't alone in what we experience!! I'm anxiously awaiting my endoscopy next week and hope to have some answers!!

i just think it's so weird that my pills go down fine and yet I can't tolerate applesauce or yogurt!! Gahhh!!! Frustrating!!

Livingsyngle
on 8/26/14 3:34 am - Windham, ME

Just an update that I had my endoscopy on 8/21 and had a pretty significant narrowing!! They dilated it and so far so good!! Was able to drink fluids immediately upon waking up and was eating soft foods within hours!!! :)

So all good for now... first post op with surgeon and dietician tomorrow!!

Susan D.
on 8/26/14 3:52 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 07/31/14

Hi,

I am glad you found what has been causing you trouble. I am three weeks out and have been having problems this week with soft foods and thought maybe that it is a phase--moving from liquid to soft foods. I will keep an eye on myself to see if I run into any more problems. It is a good feeling to know we are not alone. 

Take care,

Susan

Most Active