dilated esophagus

phutyra1948
on 8/14/14 5:05 pm

I had lap band surgery seven years ago. I recently had to empty my band due to dilated esophagus. I went six weeks and had another test done. I am better but still have mold to moderate dilation. What can I do to fix my problem?

Kimbo63
on 8/14/14 9:24 pm - United Kingdom

I had my lap band surgery three and half years ago, I had it emptied last year as I was constantly vomiting. I have been vomiting for the past 11 months, last month I had some tests done and was told that my lap band, although empty, is still restricting. I have been advised to have it removed, which is going ahead on Wednesday.  I am upset as I have lost 98lbs and worried about gaining weight afterwards. I have also been warned that I may need a oesophagus repair which they can't do at the same time as the band removal as I may not be able to swallow afterwards.

I hope you feel better soon, I can truly sympathise with you.

Good luck

Kate -True Brit
on 8/14/14 11:06 pm - UK

Sometimes it can return to normal following an unfill. Sometimes it can't! Not really an answer, I'm afraid. 

If it does return to normal, you need to take extra card that food is never retained above the band. I do know people (online) who had this, recovered and had no more problems. But there are others on here who have had to have bands removed because if this. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 8/15/14 12:47 am

Before even opening this thread, I knew you were going to say that you had Lap Band. It's not uncommon to have a dilated esophagus from the band. 

What you can do to fix the problem before it gets much, much worse is consider band removal in order to save yourself a lot more pain and suffering. 

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Please research a lot. You'll find that any "fix" is simply temporary, unfortunately. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active