Surgery Worries

shining_starre
on 8/13/14 6:52 pm

I had my lap band surgery back in December. I'm still trying to get used to some things, and I'm also still learning every single day something new about this surgery. I developed kidney stones just a month after my surgery, and I was in the hospital for about 2 days, my doctor told me that kidney stones are common with weight loss surgery, I was given medication, and then sent on my way. Didn't think any more about it, and then I had kidney stones flare up again 2 weeks ago. This time, they decided to do surgery to remove them. I was just told this yesterday, and my surgery for this is just in a few hours and I'm like so so nervous. I knew there were complications with this surgery, but this is my second one this year, and it's just frustrating and confusing. This support group is a life saver for me to go to so that I can discuss these issues. Has anyone else had trouble with getting kidney stones from this surgery? Before I've had trouble with calcium deposits, and I'm pretty sure it's problems with calcium again. The RN told me yesterday that you can get too much calcium in your blood and it goes to your kidneys and eventually causes kidney stones. Mine just flare up when I least expect them, and I am in such killer pain that I'm almost screaming it hurts so bad. I would appreciate any feedback!! Thanks everyone. you guys are great. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/14/14 3:37 am - OH

Yes, after never having had a kidney stone in my 45 years before my RNY, I have had 4 bouts of them (some minor, some not) in the 7 years since them.

Here is a post that I wrote a while back on my research into kidney stones after RNY.  Some of it is specific to RNYers, but some of it applies to anyone who is losing weight.

Currently, I am taking a medication that is supposed to reduce the formation of stones, watching my salt intake, and drinking as much plain water as I can.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active