All for nothing???

Deana_
on 8/13/14 1:51 pm

Hi there. so i have posted once before prior to me getting started on this journey. I just want to say that I am afraid.

My PCP referred me to a bariatric doctor a couple months ago. When i went to the doctor she told me that surgery is the best option for me and had me go to a bariatric seminar where they took my insurance information. I then found out 72 hours later that I was approved for surgery.

I have gone to the dietician, i have my psych eval tomorrow. I am on my 90 day diet that cigna requires. it doesnt feel like a diet.. i have to check in with the bariatric doctor once a month for 90 days and she puts in the computer what i eat and my excersize level. I have my referral for the surgery from my PCP as well as my statement of necessity from him. He is also doing my clearance for surgery. I have my sleep test next week. I meet with the surgeons team for the first time next week as well.

At the end of the 90 days, the surgeons team says that she will submit everything to my insurance company and they will give me a date for surgery.

I am worried this is all for nothing and they will tell me no. Has this happened to anyone?

Is there anything else that i could be doing?

I also feel like my life is on hault until this surgery and like i am just existing. I am waiting to be the person that i know is trapped inside of this body.

Am i crazy for feeling this way?

Mary Gee
on 8/13/14 2:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Sounds like things are going well for you.  Just keep plugging away, and you'll be all set.  Have faith!!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

NikkyBeauty
on 8/13/14 4:15 pm, edited 8/13/14 4:15 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Sounds like things are going amazingly well!! Your so lucky you are at the stage that you are. I'm just beginning and scared to death of a denial so I know the feeling! Just speak your approval into exsistance, I'm feeling the pain of the waiting game and feeling like my life is on hault too! Im so ready for the challenges that comes with the surgery I'm excited to a point! But I'm sure everything is going to work out be patient be strong! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

duckiekait
on 8/13/14 6:33 pm

I felt like this too. I JUST had my surgery about a week ago. I was so afraid something would happen that would cause me to not get my surgery. Everything worked out fine. I kept my insurance company in the loop every step of the way. I got approved a few days after the doctor's office submitted everything. Just calm down and know that everything will work out. I know how you feel about feeling like your life is on hold too. I still feel like my life is on pause at the moment. But I keep pushing and making progress and know that I am doing the right thing.

poet_kelly
on 8/13/14 7:25 pm - OH

I am confused.  You said you were approved for surgery?  Then they won't tell you no if they already told you yes.

If you haven't been approved yet and are waiting for approval, well, do you meet your insurance company's requirements?  If so, they have to pay for surgery.  So it won't all be for nothing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Deana_
on 8/13/14 10:28 pm

Sorry I was confusing.

in the beginning of this process my bariatric doctor told me to go to this seminar where they took my insurance information. They then called me two days later to tell me my insurance will fully cover the surgery.

I have to wait until I finish all of my insurance qualifications and my 90 day diet and then they submit everything to get me a date.

My worry is that I won't get a date? That they will tell me no 

White Dove
on 8/13/14 9:45 pm - Warren, OH

I thought Deana meant that the surgery center approved her for their program.  In 90 days they will apply for insurance approval. Or maybe the insurance said that she meets their requirements and now she is worrying that they will deny after 90 days instead of just giving a date.

My way to deal with worry is to have a worst case plan.  I write down exactly what I am worried about.  Then I write down what I will do if the worst thing happens.  Then I give myself about ten or twenty minutes to sit and worry about it.  After that I put the paper in an envelope and write a date on it.  I put it away and then get it out on the assigned date and see if it was worth worrying about. 

My worst case scenario would be that they deny the claim and my plan would be to appeal.  In all my years of worst case planning, I almost always found on the day that I opened my worry envelope that there was nothing to worry about and things worked out fine.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/14 10:09 pm

Very good advice.I am going to keep this idea for myself.

Cernigl1
on 8/13/14 10:22 pm

Hey Deana, I totally get it .. I am preop too!   I have this little percent of me that is scared this won't be approved at the end of this long journey but it can't stop you from trying.  And not for nothing people who get approved 1st round normally get approved 2nd round I have seen alot of it!  And it is funny the way you put "just existing"  I think that is what i have been doing for my whole adult obese life.  Now we see the possiblities and realize our potential and that is where this crazy feeling is coming into play.  All these feelings and excitement and nervousness is all just reassuring that you are ready for this.  Stay Focused, whatever happens will happen for a reason and you will be fine!

ElizaM
on 8/13/14 10:28 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

My insurance pre-cert was denied 1 week before my surgery date. And due to confusion on the bariatric program and my own part, the insurance company was in the right! My surgeon and his administrative assistant pulled out all the stops and my surgery went through on time. I didn't even ask how they did it because I assume black arts were involved.

Hang in there and don't borrow trouble. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active