Questions regarding the use of WLS to treat multiple stomach conditions...

lambsonr
on 8/14/14 12:09 am - Ann Arbor, MI

On a daily basis I follow the FODMAP diet.  It has done wonders for the bacterial overgrowth.  I also eat yogurt regularly to get probiotics.  Maybe once a year or so I have to go on antibiotics.  Honestly, the bacterial overgrowth is one of the easier issues to control.  Sticking to a low FODMAP diet really helps.  As it turns out, the low FODMAP diet also works really well for IBS.

The issues that are causing me all of the pain are the Acid Refluc/GERD and the gastroparesis.  I also follow diets for them as well.  I take medicine for both of them (Prevacid and Domperidone) but it only helps to a certain point.  In comparison I used to vomit 10 - 15 daily.  This went on for about a year straight before my doctors finally figured everything out.  So the fact that I only usually am only sick in the morning, is pretty good.  But the thing is, I am still suffering.  I am still in pain on a daily basis.  I still have trouble getting enough calories down on each day because my stomach hurts.

Mainly I'm hoping that the surgery will help with the Acid Reflux/GERD, the IBS, the gastroparesis, the high blood pressure, the pre-diabetus, the high cholestrol, and yes the weight.  If it even only helps with half of these, I think it may be worth it. 

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 8/13/14 12:49 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I am two years out.  I had severe GERD--it's gone.  My diabetes is in remission--no more diabetes meds and my sugar is fine.  I am having a hiatal and a regular hernia repaired in February when I get my tummy tuck.  My high blood pressure --gone--no more of the 3 high bp meds I was taking.  I'm no longer using a walker for my arthritis.  I had IBS and very loose stools and now the pendulum has swung the other direction and I have constipation.  I feel fabulous.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

lambsonr
on 8/14/14 12:10 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Wow, that is amazing!  Thanks for sharing.  This is exactly what I was hoping for!

diane48
on 8/13/14 3:07 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I have a niece that had a RNY a couple years ago for gastroparesis and has no problem with that now.  She didn't have the bacterial overgrowth (as far as I know of).  I have seen a some patients here that have had a lot of problems when they had bacterial overgrowth after surgery especially in the blind stomach and intestine.  What else can they do to treat that?

Besides that, the surgery has helped me with hypertension, heart arrhythmias, pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. 

And that was just in the first month!  I did do this for my health.  It was surgery or have a stroke or another heart attack. It is a question of quality of life.  I feel so much better now.

siberiancat
on 8/14/14 12:12 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I had severe nausea and gastroparesis before my RNY.  I slept sitting up for 2 years and then got an electric bed 7 years ago - so I sleep with head elevated at 45 degrees.  I had my RNY March of 2009.  I still have severe nausea and gastroparesis.  I did NOT have heartburn before RNY but I have since developed it about 2 years ago.  My IBS pre-RNY was mostly cramping and diarrhea - since the RNY it is cramping and constipation.  I did not have SIBO before or after.  Since the RNY I have become gluten intolerant and have reactive hypoglycemia.

I have stayed at goal weight.  RNY surgery wasn't difficult.  I am really glad that I had it done.

Food is no longer that enjoyable for me.  I eat for fuel to give my body the nutrition it needs.  I have nausea for an hour or more after every meal and/or snack.  I eat pretty much the same thing every day and eat no fast food and very little packaged food.  I do continue to use whey isolate protein powder daily to meet my 80 grams of protein daily.

I'm not complaining, at all.  My health is better, no more high blood pressure, cholesterol.  Sleep apnea is gone.  My joints don't hurt as much.  I'm able to walk, exercise and be active.

I can live with my ailments & limitations.  I feel blessed to have had the RNY and live in a country where I have access to healthcare, medications and good healthy food - all year long.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

lambsonr
on 8/14/14 12:23 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Thank you for sharing!  This is also what I was hoping for.  It seems that even though it didn't help you with everything, it helped enough that it was worth it.  This is my hope.  Even if it doesn't help with my stomach issues, it will help my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pre-diabetus.  As bad as things are now, at least I still can heal properly and don't have any real complications yet from the diabetus.  If I wait, I feel that diabetus will become an even bigger issue for me than my stomach.  

easytexan
on 8/18/14 11:58 pm - New Braunfels, TX

Good Morning.  I highly recommend that you have the surgery.  I had  my surgery in November of 1999.  As of that date alot of what I was experiencing has left me.

I have bad heart burn.  Even when I drank water it gave me heart burn.  That has completly left me.  I get heart burn now only if I eat something that does not agree with me.  But it is not as bad.

My diabetes has left me.

My heart blood pressure is history. 

So I recommend having this surgery.  The struggles of weight are not over but you can deal with them in a better way.

Jesus Mendza

Most Active