Concern about my sugar levels

LilyoftheValley07-30
on 8/10/14 12:33 am

I had my VSG 11 days ago and my sugar levels have been in the 200's.  Why are they so high?  My main purpose of my VSG was to get rid of my diabetes but I'm not having any luck yet!  What can I do?  I am still at Step II and need one more week.  What will my sugar levels be when I start Step III?   I am very concern about this.  Please advice!

Member Services
on 8/10/14 2:10 am - Irvine, CA

Hi LilyoftheValley,

It's only been 11 days, the more weight you take off and eating healthy the lower your sugar "may" go.  We have seen members once they reach goal they are off all meds and or take less meds.  

lease post this on the VSG forum to reach out to those that had the same surgery as you and always contact your surgeon's office for medical questions.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/10/14 6:52 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I also have diabetes & had vsg surgery. Since I've mostly controlled it thru the meds & the way I was eating, I didn't really check my levels after surgery. I mostly monitor it now via the a1c tests I get at my checkups & recently went down on my diabetes medication. I can only say that your body just went thru major surgery & your levels might be because your body is out of whack right now, give yourself some time to heal up & stay in touch with your endo & tell him your concerns. You're in healing mode right now & it'll take time for your body to get back in sync again. I too hope to get off of all my meds. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 8/10/14 8:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

what is on your menu and what are you eating on the StepII diet?

LilyoftheValley07-30
on 8/10/14 11:19 pm

I'm following the plan:  protein shake, yogurt, Mootopia, soups, sugar free pudding/jello.

hollykim
on 8/10/14 11:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 11, 2014 at 6:19 AM Pacific Time, LilyoftheValley07-30 wrote:

I'm following the plan:  protein shake, yogurt, Mootopia, soups, sugar free pudding/jello.

good that you are following the plan,but a lot of those items can have a lot of sugar in them,they protein shake,the yogurt,and I don't even know wht Mootopia is,but,I would check the carb counts and especially the sugar content of every item I was eating,using Www.myfitnesspal.com,and you might be surprised how much sugar you are actually eating,even being on the "plan". Something is making your sugar be high,and it is most likely what you are eating.

SATXVSG
on 8/10/14 11:59 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Mootopia is a lactotse, fat free milk put out by the grocery chain HEB.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Tracy D.
on 8/11/14 12:12 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I went off all diabetes meds the day I came home from the hospital.  I spiked some higher sugar levels in the hospital because they were giving me fluids, which always has glucose in it.   And it took a little bit for my sugars to come down.  

You'll want to be VERY careful and track your carbs carefully; make sure you are keeping track daily either on paper or with an app like My Fitness Pal.  I couldn't handle milk sugars because it would raise my glucose level so I switched to almond milk for my shakes.  And I made sure my protein powder was sugar-free.  

If you can keep your carbs between 40-60 you should see your sugars drop dramatically

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active