How to prevent hair loss

Annetteleon
on 8/8/14 6:20 am

I am 4 day pis top and worried about my hair falling out because it is already thin from my thyroid does anyone have any suggestions on how or what to use to help prevent this from happening ? 

White Dove
on 8/8/14 8:27 am - Warren, OH

You can't prevent the hair loss that is caused by using anesthesia during surgery.  Your hair follicles may go to sleep for a while.  You can keep your scalp clean and acidic by using a vinegar rinse after shampooing.  Keep your body healthy by taking your vitamins and getting in your required protein.  Hair loss can start at about three months after surgery and last until nine months after.  Everyone is different and it does not happen to everyone.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 8/8/14 8:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Answer:  don't get surgery

OOOPs - too late!  Telogen Effluvium is what it's called and it comes after some kind of trauma to the body (cancer, surgery, childbirth, severe stress).  The hair sheds because new follicles are pushing it out so they can emerge.  It happens 3-4 months post op, goes on for a couple of months and stops.  For most people, it's not noticeable to anyone but the brush and shower drain.

In other words, any extra vitamins and protein will benefit the new hair coming out, and expensive shampoos will make the hair fall out looking very clean, but nothing will stop it.  

Don't waste your money.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sandie E.
on 8/9/14 1:40 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Stay on top of the protein intake. My nurse was telling me protein deficiency has something to do with it. Also some people suggest biotin. I don't know if it works yet but I just started taking it because I also have thyroid issues so it's something that was getting worse. Once my protein was back up where it needed to be it seems like it has kind of improved but at only 3 months out I guess this is when it starts so we will see. 

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

MsBatt
on 8/10/14 4:16 am

LOL---anyone who becomes so low on protein it causes their hair to fall out has bigger things to worry about!

Getting plenty of protein will help you grow more hair, but it won't keep it from falling out as a result of surgery.

Rain_69
on 8/9/14 5:51 pm

I too have thinning hair, which for me is genetic. Scary to imagine losing more. I understand that zinc is supposed to help with hair loss specifically, but going forth with a solid vitamin regime is probably the best thing we can do for ourselves, otherwise we need to let nature take it's course. Good luck

Most Active