Does anyone know why Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia PA stopped doing the lap band...

Mommom381
on 8/8/14 5:02 am

I'm wondering why Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia no longer performs the lap band surgery.  If you know can you please let me know?

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 8/8/14 5:59 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Many surgeons no longer do them. They remove more than they put in. They have been proven to be the least effective of all surgeries and most need to be removed with in 10 years. That is most likely why.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/8/14 6:03 am - UK

It has become clear over the last five or so years that the removal rate is high enough to make some centres stop implanting them.

Some of the problems are the fault of the individual but unfortunately a lot cannot be prevented however careful the person is. It is also very easy to eat in a way which does not lead to weight loss - so some people without complications still found they did not lose weight.

These things are not inevitable. I have been happily and successfully banded for over 8 years and know in the region of 40 banded people in real life; almost all of them are happy with their bands. But a great many people on this site are not. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 8/8/14 6:58 am - OH

Probably for the same reason the Mayo Clinic and so many others stopped doing it - it has a very low success rate and a very high rate of complications.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Judy700
on 8/8/14 7:59 am
VSG on 03/11/14 with

When I went to the Info session at Johns Hopkins a year ago, the surgeon there would not even describe lap bands other than to say they are no longer doing them and often times only leads to complications and a revision farther down the road.  She chastised Gov. Chistie's surgeon for putting a lap band in him and said it was a poor choice medically for such an obese man.  They are currently doing sleeve and bypass as the two main choices.

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Valerie G.
on 8/8/14 8:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Lapbands are proving to be dangerous, with more coming off than going on.  Problems like them eroding into the stomach and having to be dissected out, slips resulting in emergency surgeries to remove them, all kinds of scary stuff.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nic M
on 8/8/14 9:09 am

Good surgeons are opting to not place bands because they know how much damage they cause the human body. It's a huge liability to have a band. I'm sure truly caring surgeons hate seeing their patients damaged by the devices. The ones who only care about the money making aspects are still encouraging people to get them. Those doctors should probably be avoided.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

56sunShine14
on 8/8/14 12:13 pm

Probably the same reasons why most stopped.  It is a failed product that, altho it has been successful for many, it's record is bad.  I went to the informational meeting the other day for my upcoming sleeve surgery.  My surgeon pointed out that he believes in the next couple of years, if that long, the band will no longer be used, with a few exceptions, at all.

I just had mine removed 2 weeks ago.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active