I'm about 8-9 months post op and stopped losing weight any advice?

amontes7
on 8/7/14 3:28 pm

I had my surgery November 2013 I weighed 390 that was the highest I ever been, now I'm at 280lbs in August 2014 9months out I still have lots to go I want to lose about another 100lbs but I've recently slowed down losing weight I hope it doesn't stop completely I work out and eat healthy and finally got my appetite back it was horrible for many months. I had alot of complications after surgery where I was admitted a few times, it was horrible but Im much better now. I come on here to read what others go through it helps me if any one has advice or needs advice I'm here :) My question is if anyone has gone through this I'm worried if this is all I'm going to lose I completely slowed down losing weight I hope I still keep losing my appetite is back to normal n I've been eating more then the last few months but haven't gained yet any one help......

MickeyDee
on 8/7/14 5:50 pm

Pauses are entirely normal.  Stay off the scale, keep up the exercise and eat properly, and check your clothing sizes: that is where you will see the changes.

Don't lose heart!

shoutjoy
on 8/7/14 8:42 pm - Culpeper, VA

I agree with Mickey.  I know many people freak out if they don't have the scale at a moment's notice.  So, if you can, use your clothing as a guide.  If you can't, you will see fluctuation on the scale maybe forever.  My scale goes up and down all the time.  I just want to stay within a 3 pound range.  Enjoy your journey. Find fun active stuff to do.  Get a walking buddy.  Join a meetup.  There are many things to do that will help you focus on other things.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/7/14 9:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You say you've been eating more, and that's the key. It gets harder the further out you are from surgery, but you need to cut back again if you want to continue losing.

Do you weigh and track your food? That's the scale that's really going to help you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 8/8/14 1:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It would be helpful to know which surgery you had as well as exactly what you are eating and drinking each day.  Without that information we're all just guessing on what would be helpful advice for you.  

Things everyone should look at carefully:  1) fluid intake - at least 80-100 oz. per day; 2) tracking food - putting down every single bite and knowing exactly how much protein, carbs and calories you're getting.  No guessing!  3) At least 80 grams of high quality protein a day ie. chicken, fish, eggs, meat.  NO protein bars!  

I'm coming right off a support group meeting last night where I guy was complaining that he hasn't lost anything in months.  He went from 380 to 250 and is now "stuck" and has been for months.  Well, once I started quizzing him a bit I found that he doesn't drink enough water and he doesn't eat a protein forward diet.  He admits to "loving salads" and eats those first and then he "just can't get in all his protein".  Well, duh!!  Quit eating the god damned salad, which is probably loaded with fat and calories that are doing nothing for you.  And then he's eating pasta, rice and bread again.  Well, no WONDER you aren't losing any weight, mister!  

This is a guy that had his surgery 9 days prior to me - and he was stunned to hear how I eat and drink.  And we have the same surgeon - so what does that tell you?  

There's lots of different ways to eat after surgery and you need to be brutally honest with yourself and whether or not what you are doing is adding to your success or subtracting from it.  This man in my group obviously thinks he is eating "healthy" because he's doing a lot of salads, fruits and veggies but he doesn't write down **** so he has no idea what he's actually taking in each day.  He will not be successful until he cuts the damn white carbs and fruit carbs and starts eating a protein forward diet again.  

So, it's time for some brutal honesty.  Look at what you're eating, write it down, add it all up and then see if you are getting in the water, protein and low number of carbs it takes to be successful (and yeah, that carb number can vary due to type of surgery and personal experiences).  

Having said all that, it's totally natural for the weight loss process to slow down.  You're not going to have the big, exciting drops every day or every week like you had the first 9 months.  So buckle up, understand that you are making changes for life, and examine what you're doing on a daily basis that will make you a success long-term...or will sabotage you.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/8/14 5:39 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I heard that the further out you are weight loss tends to slow down & you have to be more on top of what you're eating. Your last line says you've been eating more these last few months but haven't gained yet. It sounds like you already know why you're not losing, but doing a good job of maintaining your weight. Just go back to the basics when you were losing weight & it should start coming back off again. Definitely track everything you're eating. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active