6 month diet, actually 7?

Oliviawashere
on 8/6/14 9:06 am

My insurance makes me do a 6 month physician supervised diet. I am on month three. Today a lady from the surgeons office says that usually you need 7 weigh ins, not just the 6, and that most of the time insurance won't count the first month. Has anyone run into that before? I was getting excited because I felt halfway done, now I have to wait another month??

basilmk
on 8/6/14 10:14 am, edited 8/6/14 10:14 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Just one more hoop you must jump through.  

Maybe they will accept two in one month. The insurance experts usually know what's up with the insurance companies and remember, the surgeon's staff are on your side.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

poet_kelly
on 8/6/14 11:00 am - OH

It's not that they don't count the first month.  It's that if you get weighed in on Aug 1 and then again on Sept 1, that is one month.  It is only one month from Aug 1 to Sept 1, not two months.  It's 31 days, or one month.  So then you get weighed a third time on Oct 1, which means you've been on the diet for two months.  And so on.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

civilmomma
on 8/7/14 3:46 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Here's what I had to do for my 6 month thing.

May - seminar, consult, PCP aproval

June - starting weigh in with NUT

July - month 1 complete

Aug - 2

Sept - 3

Oct - 4

Nov - 5

Dec - 6 months complete with NUT

so yes, that is 7 weigh ins with the NUT.

Then you get submitted, then you schedule/meet with surgeon, then you do pre-op liquid diet, then you have surgery.

By the time I had my approval, did my pre-op liquid diet, and scheduled, I could have had surgery in February but delayed it for a vacation and to get a Friday surgery so I didn't have the VSG until March 7th...total process = 9+ months.

It sucked, but looking back the time flew.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active