Starting Pre-Op diet on 8/8/2014, any good hints?

LEOKAT
on 8/6/14 6:52 am

I am scheduled for VSG on 8/22/2014 with A Lighter Me. 

I'm getting excited, but I know these 2 weeks from what I hear sound like they can be difficult.  Any suggestions are much appreciated.  Also any feedback on A Lighter Me would be great also.  Thanks,

Gwen M.
on 8/6/14 7:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My advice is to expect the first few days to suck a LOT.  But then it'll get easier somewhere between day 3 and 5.  So hold on, you can do it.  Just survive those first few days.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

bwood78
on 8/6/14 8:23 am
with

Happy to hear that you're excited and hoping to hear some good ideas here as well. Started my 2 week pre-op diet yesterday, so on Day 2, and things are going pretty good. Getting ready to have some SF Jello right now. Not sure what type of foods you are able to have, but my wife bought the chicken soup flavored powder from unjury when she had her surgery and I mix that with low sodium chicken broth and it's actually pretty decent. Throw a few spices on it and it definitely is a nice change from the shakes.  

Patrick McGuire
on 8/6/14 10:00 am

I choose the HMR shakes. They come in 2 flavors (Choc and Vanilla). I also purchased peanut butter powder. Then when I mixed in other flavors. 

Morning - usually vanilla powder with a small banana. sometimes a dash of peanut butter powder.

I also used a little sugar free jello pudding mix….usually butterscotch (i love that) with the vanilla.

Evening - chocolate or chocolate with some peanut butter powder. 

I also purchased an Oster food processor/mixer to mix them. Put in a few crushed ice cubes, then water, then fixings.

kathkeb
on 8/6/14 12:43 pm

What the others have said ....the first few days suck, but it gets easier.

You have the weekend to get through the first few days, so plan to sleep late and also try to go to bed early .... LOL .. Sleep through as much of it as you feel like.

I bought some magazines and took hour long bubble baths in the evenings to distract and relax me.

I sipped warm tea ..it felt more soothing than cold tea, but whatever you like.

I mixed a few ounces of coffee (regular or decaf) into my chocolate shakes to cut some of the sweet taste.

It helped me to brush my teeth and gargle between meals ..... Having a clean, fresh mouth helps take away cravings.

You CAN do this .... In the scope of time, it is a blip, so hang in there and forge on!!!

Kath

Kirstin S.
on 8/6/14 11:14 pm - CT

I cut back on carbs prior to my preop diet and started replacing one meal a day with a protein shake. That helped me transition into my liquid diet without heavy-duty food withdrawals. I'm on day 11 and still going strong. Good luck! 

Highest weight: 296- Consult weight: 292- Surgeons goal: 167- My goal: 145 Hight 5'5. Had RNY on 8/11/14

bwood78
on 8/9/14 3:37 am
with

Well, I'm on day 5 and things are still going good. Bought a bunch of Bariatric Advantage protein flavors (Chocolate, Vanilla and Orange) from my surgeon's office and really only care for the chocolate. Vanilla and orange both are pretty awful to me. My wife had some Syntax Nectar Fuzzy Naval protein powder that I've had two of already today, and I find the flavor to be way better than the other flavors I have. Threw a scoop of this in 10-12 oz of water and some ice cubes into a bullet-like small blender, let it sit for a little bit (it comes out a bit frothy from the blender) and, to me, it really tastes good. Has a nice mango/orange/slight peach flavor and I can't really taste the protein like some other mixes.    

MsBatt
on 8/10/14 4:32 am

I'll let you in on a secret---there is absolutely NO special virtue in an all-liquid 'diet'. What you need to focus on right now is getting plenty of PROTEIN stocked up, because immediately post-op you'll need it for healing, but you won't be able to eat it. Start taking your vitamins now, and get a baseline set of labs drawn. Eat a moderate-calorie diet of high-protein, low-carb FOOD.

Most Active