I have to ask this question about sugar

Grim_Traveller
on 8/7/14 10:37 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You say that sugar is your drug of choice, and that  it's a bad choice. That should tell you everything you need to know. Like a drug, having sugar makes you want more. 

In order to lose, you'll be eating very low calories for a long time. You will need to make every calorie count toward vital nutrition needs. Sugar doesn't fill and of those needs.

It's best for you if you find a way to say goodbye to sugar.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

56sunShine14
on 8/7/14 11:59 am

Yes, that is right. Yes, that does say it all.  I am not meaning finding a way to eat sweets...they are not a part of that life. I am already ridding myself of those foods.

But I love yogurt and that was the main driving force behind the question. I love protein bars for that on the go thing. 

However, I did forget about those who, after surgery, have no urge for sugar at all.  I am hoping for that to happen to me!  Until then, is there something else I can look for?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Ladytazz
on 8/7/14 12:07 pm

The best way to lose your urge for sugar is to totally abstain from it.  If you really are an addict, as I am, too much is not enough, or as they say, one is too many and a thousand isn't enough.

If you think you can do moderation they by all means go for it.  If you think that having WLS, any WLS, will fix your food issues then you may be in for a disappointment.  It does help me abstain from those foods but it doesn't give me the ability to eat them in moderation.

Some people say that they have lost their desire for those things after surgery.  I didn't lose my desire for those things until I stopped eating them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

56sunShine14
on 8/8/14 1:45 am

Oh, I really am an addict!  I have noticed after the band was in, I could not tolerate and still cannot tolerate a lot of things now as they are just too sweet.  Even things I loved prior to surgery.  And I am good with that!  I wish, in this world where a fake can be found for almost anything, they could come up with something that tastes better than what is out there now for sugar.  But then, that might just kill me quickly.  LOL 

Well, if I have to give up yogurt than I have to.  But it's going to be harder for me than any sweet treat I know of.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cece2014
on 8/7/14 12:30 pm

Sugar seems to be in everything that is a processed food, and I too like sweets.   I have found that once I gave up sugar in my coffee the rest was easy. And I'm not a fan of sugar substitutes - at least haven't found one yet that I would turn to.  Yes, I still want something something sweet after dinner, and have learned to survive. As the other posters have commented, taking it out of your diet is the best plan, finding ways to use a small amount is certainly a choice.

You may want to speak to a nutritionist and explore options now; consider this pre-op time your "training wheels" for the new you.

Good luck!

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

Capegin
on 8/7/14 12:38 pm

My husband and I tried the Paleo diet for a while, which cuts out all sugar.  I was SHOCKED at how quickly I got accustomed to that.  Your body definitely feels it at first, and there is a definite anxiety that goes with giving up your drug of choice, but I definitely noticed the positive changes in how my body felt.  The yogurt is a tricky one, and I don't know of any brands off the top of my head, but you could probably go on paleo diet information boards and find some good sugar free yogurts (paleo also eschews artificial sweeteners).  Honestly, though, coffee is my best example of how quickly that change took hold.  I stopped putting artificial sweeteners in my coffee (to get used to not having the sweet taste), and now I can't  put any sweetener, real or otherwise, in it.  Too sweet for me.  Good luck to you! 

Catwoman77
on 8/7/14 2:21 pm, edited 8/7/14 2:23 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I know you said stevia,  which is natural still bothers you,  so this may as well,  but have you tried sweetener made from monk fruit?  It's a zero calorie sweetener called monk fruit in the raw (they also make sugar in the raw and stevia in the raw). To be honest, I wasn't crazy about it,  I tried it in coffee and I think it had a bit of a fruit taste undertone that didn't work in coffee but it might do ok in yogurt.  I think if you Google it and find their website you can get some free samples. 

E.T.A. - I guess the free samples are only for offices, the link is under the "professionals" hyperlink at the bottom of the home page. 

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

Most Active