I have to ask this question about sugar

56sunShine14
on 8/7/14 2:00 am

I am pre-op now but going forward, I am not sure about my thoughts on this.  Sugar is my drug of choice and it is a very bad choice.  That said, I cannot tolerate many of the fakes out there, even Stevia (not a fake even)!  I get very bad indigestion from it that even my antacids cannot handle.  I LOVE yogurt and almost all of the SF kinds have aspartame, the worst for me! 

Will it be possible to have sugar in my diet post-sleeve, as long as I restrict that to only the healthier (I know, sugar is not healthy) foods?  this is not a silly question, I really would like to know what the vets think.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

hollykim
on 8/7/14 2:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you can certainly have sugar and anything else you CHOOSE to have. The problem is,sugar might stop or. Slow your loss at some point,maybe evenfromthebeginning. 

The body. Is lazy and will use that free flowing sugar  that you are eating and that is available inyourblood stream for energy before it will burn your stored fat. Burning stored fat is how weight loss is accomplished. 

Patm
on 8/7/14 3:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You may also find after surgery you develop a better tolerance for it. I use yogurt with less than 5 gr of sugar. It is plain and I add fruit to it

56sunShine14
on 8/7/14 12:00 pm

What is the name of that yogurt?  And does it have any other artificial sweetener?  We may not carry it in the states but maybe we do.  Is it greek or regular yogurt?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Patm
on 8/7/14 11:06 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It ias Liberte Greek yogurt. You can add anything to it. I also use it for cooking

56sunShine14
on 8/8/14 1:38 am

Don't recognize the name but maybe at somewhere like Trader Joes or Whole Foods.  I will look closer at the various kinds.  Thank you!

Karen

HLen
on 8/7/14 10:09 am
RNY on 07/11/14

I am 3.5 weeks post op and just wanted to say.. Everyone is different but.. I don't crave sugar at all now.. I could care less if I have something sweet.. Maybe that will change for you too :-)

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

56sunShine14
on 8/7/14 12:01 pm

That is truly what I am hoping for after surgery! It would be wonderful to not want it!!

Karen

Tracy D.
on 8/8/14 1:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As a fellow sugar addict, I'm going to rain on your parade and tell you that this surgery isn't going to change your desire to eat sugar.  Sure, for the first few months you might not feel like eating anything because you're in the "zone" and things just don't sound good.  But, beware! - that will all change the further out you get.  

If you truly are a sugar addict, you need to treat it like the evil snake it is and just not pick it up.  Because it will bite you.  Every. Single. Time.  I can vouch for this, unfortunately 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

56sunShine14
on 8/8/14 1:40 am

And I agree with you Tracy!  After my band was in, I had been off sugar for 6 weeks and stayed off for a few years.  But I foolishly tried something that had sugar and that was the end for me.  I am now trying to rid it from anything I eat but it is hard.  As I said tho, yogurt is my fav and was the main reason for my post.  I need to find an even ground with that.

Karen

Most Active