Going back to work

Purplemonster
on 8/5/14 3:23 am

I'm going to be getting a surgery date pretty soon, but I'm curious how long it to some of you to return to work after surgery? Either bypass or the sleeve, I know everyone is different bout I'm just curious what's the average from actual people who have gone through it.

Thanks so much

MymiCookie
on 8/5/14 3:29 am - Canada

4 weeks for me. I was still on soft foods. It wasn't bad at all. But I have an office job where I sit most of the day. I was still taking some Tylenol here and there for discomfort.

MymiCookie
on 8/5/14 3:49 am - Canada

Sorry, I forgot to mention I had Roux-en-y gastric by pass.

Kathy S.
on 8/5/14 3:30 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Purplemonster,

Yes you are right there are many factors that determine when you can go back to work. That being said your time off of work will depend on the type of weight loss surgery you have. After Lap-Band surgery, you can return to work in about one-week. The gastric bypass (RNY), VSG and duodenal switch (DS) procedures average a two to four week recuperation.  If you have open surgery it can be longer....

Take care,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Tracy D.
on 8/5/14 3:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had surgery (VSG) on Friday and went back to work full-time 10 days later.  I was a little tired the first couple days by 5:00 p.m. but then everything got back to normal real fast.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

gmantek
on 8/5/14 4:01 am

I have a desk job and work from home.  I took 2 weeks off, but I wish I would have taken 3 weeks.  I felt ok after the first week off, but when started working the 2nd week, I could barely get through half a day before I'd have to go upstairs to take a nap!  I was really tired, and not able to use my brain to it's full capacity.  I felt a little guilty because I didn't get much done that 2nd week back at my desk.  If you have the option, I'd take 3 weeks.

Purplemonster
on 8/5/14 4:13 am

Thanks so much for all your answers. I'm an assistant teacher so it looks like I'll have to getc a substitute for about 2-4 weeks

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/5/14 6:17 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am a college teacher.  I had my surgery two weeks before returning from winter break.  I had a RNY.  I was okay, but really tired the first two weeks back.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

AngryViking
on 8/5/14 6:42 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I had RNY on 7/17 and I just went back to work on 8/4, so like 2 1/2 weeks.  I was really tired the first day, but today was not so bad.

Katliz
on 8/5/14 9:26 am

Hi Purplemonster,

I had the gastric bypass on July 3rd.  I returned to work on July 21st.  I wish Ihad stayed off longer because i realized that I was not ready to return to work.  I am still tired all the time and have adjusted to the change in my eating. I suggest you truly evaluate yourself before you decide to return to work.

Kathy

Most Active