Regain the weight?

MymiCookie
on 8/5/14 3:13 am - Canada

I had surgery on April 24th 2013. I have lost 110lbs since but I have been in a "plateau" since march 2014. I am holding still at 164lbs. However, I have this constant fear of regaining the weight. I feel like I am eating more and am afraid I will stretch my pouch or something. But really, I am REALLY afraid to gain all the weight back. I have to admit, I don't exercise much (although I have a toddler that does not allow me to sit still). I eat almost anything without problems. Should I ask for some testing? To make sure my pouch is fine, not stretched? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/14 4:11 am

It is not all that uncommon at 1yr+ post op to be able to eat most things without any problem. There are people who have trouble with certain foods for a long period of time but I know many like myself were able to eat fairly normally by a year post op. I don't have trouble eating any kind of food unfortunately and I have gained back a good bit (but my surgery was almost 9yrs ago). Although it may seem like it most likely you have not "stretched' your pouch by much you just may not be utilizing it fully. In the beginning we often do not try to eat the things that we find ourselves eating further out post op. It's human nature I guess to push the envelope to a point. If seeing your Dr would make you feel more at ease you could do that but it's probably not needed. Try going back to the basics of how you ate early on. As long as you are eating healthy and not gaining weight there is probably nothing to worry about. Remember just because you "can" eat something doesn't mean you have to. The choice is still ours as to what we are going to put in regardless of whether our body tries to reject it or willingly accepts it. It sounds like you're doing great, congrats on reaching your goal!

MymiCookie
on 8/5/14 4:15 am - Canada

Thanks so much Stacy! I will go back to eating basics and make sure I stop eating when my pouch feels full!

kerry B.
on 8/5/14 4:35 am
VSG on 11/04/13

I understand your worry.  I just reached goal and now I am terrified.  I am seeing a therapist and that is helping so much.  I think I would be freaking out if I didn't have tools to manage my internal dialogue.  It's not perfect obviously since it is still on my mind often.  But I think therapy is imperative.  

Congrats on maintaining so well!!

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Most Active