Nausea coming back - 3 weeks out

gnoff886
on 8/4/14 11:25 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

Hello everyone! I've been doing really, really well. I'm on soft foods, and the only thing that I found that doesn't sit with me too well is bread. Well, I'm fine with that! Keep those carbs away.

Anyways, I haven't had an issue with drinking my liquids since I left the hospital. But for the past 2 or three days, my tummy gets really gurgly, and I even get nauseated. I woke up this morning with one of those dehydration headaches, so I know that this feeling deterred me from getting my fluids in yesterday. Any tips? Does this happen to anyone else? And why NOW, 3 weeks out?

CdngirlinNC
on 8/4/14 11:38 pm

Hi there - I am 4 weeks post op and liquids have been a challenge for me because I can't drink very quickly and my tummy is very particular about temperature.  Also plain water does not feel good at all.  So, having said all that, I drink room temperature water with a bit of flavouring in it and just keep it going all day.  Tea has been easy to drink also.  I guess it's just a trial and error thing.  One other thing is making sure the nausea isn't being caused by acid.  Are you taking a PPI?  

VSG 07/07/14

gnoff886
on 8/4/14 11:52 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

You have something there... i think it may be acid. What is a PPI? Over the weekend, I felt horrible while drinking a protein shake, so I had a prevacid and two tums. They did the trick!

Luvmygs
on 8/5/14 1:34 am
VSG on 12/04/14

If plain water doesn't work for you try putting some slices of lemon or cucumber. This helps sooth the tummy in the beginning stages. Good luck.

CdngirlinNC
on 8/5/14 1:44 am

A PPI is a Proton Pump Inhibitor - basically blocks acid in your tummy.  As I understood it from my surgeon it is super important to be on a PPI for the first 6 weeks minimum to protect the stomach and many people need it way beyond that.  I am taking a prescription called Protonix but there are over the counter meds such as Nexium.  Perhaps a call to your doc would be a good idea to see about starting a regular daily dose of a PPI?

VSG 07/07/14

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 2:17 am

If you're not getting a minimum of 64 ounces of fluids EVERY day, you will slowly become dehydrated, and being dehydrated makes you nauseated, gives you a headache, etc. Go to the ER and get some IV fluids. At three weeks out, it's really, really hard to catch up orally if you get behind on your fluids.

Valerie G.
on 8/6/14 1:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The nausea is probably caused by the dehydration, which is making you NOT want to drink.  Whether its pleasant or not, you NEED 64oz daily, anything wet, no ifs, ands, or butts.  It's a full time job and it's not fun, but it's necessary.  You force it.

Now, perhaps a trip to the ER for an IV of fluids will get you back on track, but you can't let this keep happening.  This is a huge key to your recovery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active