protein shakes

JustaSouthernGirl76
on 8/3/14 6:15 am - VA

I wholeheartedly agree!! I cannot tell you how much protein powder I've tossed out over the last 8 years. I just went to gastricbyasssuplement.com and also Nashua Nutrition and ordered some samples. The first site only offers packs the one I selected was protein for 3.95 and ended up being 10 with shipping. The second place Nashua Nutrition allows you to choose from TONS of protein brands and flavors, they are $1.95 a sample. I got like 11 or so samples for 27.00 that's with shipping. When I first had my surgery and for a few years after I only drank Isopure.

Never Give Up!
Valerie G.
on 8/3/14 7:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need something high in protein and low in sugar, and there are many different brands and flavors on the market to sample.  I know that GNC will let you return something if you don't like it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cjbaby1018
on 8/3/14 8:22 am - Forney, TX

I prefer premier protein shacks also they r the best 

Bonnie250
on 8/3/14 8:37 am
RNY on 08/25/14

they are expensive, but i feel The Bariatric Advantage meal replacements shakes are worth it. They have a lot of vitamins. I am awaiting surgery this month, and i have only had the chocolate flavor. I put a banana in mine and use 1/2 cup of HOOD brand skim milk, and 1/2 cup of water, i also use a little crushed ice, I blend this together, and its really pretty good. I am not sure if you are allowed to have a banana and the 1/2 cup of skim milk with it, but it really makes it pretty tasty. Best Wishes.

Bonnie

cutebutpsycho30
on 8/3/14 9:12 am

i had requested some samples from them... i am really interested in the Iced Latte flavor.. yummy!! lol

Eggface
on 8/3/14 9:40 am - Sunny Southern, CA

A lot of the protein/vitamin companies have travel packets or variety packs.

Ask at vitamin stores for samples sometimes they will mix you up some to try or scoop you some in a baggy to try. Chat them up.

You might ask your local support group leader (assuming you have one) to host a protein tasting party... everyone can bring a protein to share with the group... LOL like a Bariatric Cookie Exchange without the cookies ;) Support group leaders can usually score freebies from the companies too.

Or you and a WLS pal could each buy one tub of something you want to try and split them so at the least you aren't suffering through a whole tub you don't like. 

A few more tips.

Hope you find something you love. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

P.S. Thanks for the blog shout Mary :)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Chelley0285
on 8/3/14 12:55 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

Bariatric Advantage was recommended by the head dietician of the organization where I got my mandatory dietary consultations; however, when the dietician found out I was on a fixed income she gave me affordable alternatives. Premier Protein is about $20/18 count box of premade shakes that meet the protein guidelines and are found at Sam's Wholesale Club. Other alternatives are Pure Protein or Lean Body at Wal-Mart which are both under $20. I was seriously sweating how I was going to afford pricey shakes. I was happy to know there are alternatives.

andy M.
on 8/3/14 2:21 pm - fairfax, VA
with

hello...i read your post and i WAS in the EXACT same boat you were!!! I also use bariatric advantage. I got kinda lucky and my doctors office carries all the bariatric advantage supplies and they charge you exactly the same amount the website does (doctors office doesn't profit of it), but i got lucky because my doctors office has samples of all the products, so when i started my 2 week liquid diet they gave me a sample of all the protein shake flavors. My favorite by far is Vanilla ( tastes like a french vanilla cappuccino to me), and i also like strawberry. There chocolate isn't bad, its just ok....but there orange creamsicle was HORRIBLE , my wife and friends tried it and they also hated it, but they all thought vanilla was the best). lol of course thats my opinions. But i completely hear you about spending $140 a month on just protein shakes, and then you gotta pay for all your vitamins a month to, and any prescriptions you take each month...It can ad up quickly, but i have found i spend a lot less money on this stuff than i did on fast food a month. So hopefully this helps you!

Andy

basilmk
on 8/3/14 3:41 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

My favorite is Unjury Chocolate Splendor or their Chicken Broth which are available in sample packs.

Some insurance companies will cover protein if it is prescribed by a surgeon. While most don't cover it, I'd check....nothing to lose by asking, right?

Best of luck with your surgery!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Cherokeesage
on 8/3/14 9:03 pm, edited 8/3/14 9:47 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I became intolerant to the flavor of most protein drinks post op thus I have tried numerous brands and flavors.  I did get samples whenever possible before buying large containers.  My surgeon has a box of several brands to sample that they box and sell.  I bought a box pre op and thought most were okay but post op couldn't stand any of them for several months so used unflavored protein and mixed that in whatever I could tolerate like rice and almond milk being lactose intolerant.  I would have wasted a lot of money had my husband not stepped in and drank what I would not.  He seems to like all of the brands but then he hasn't had WLS.  In all honesty, what works for one person may or may not suit another person so it is a trial and error till you find what you like.  I presently prefer Chike to all others but couldn't tolerate it till I was a year post op.  I  use one a day as a meal replacement to get 28 gms of protein.  It has 190 calories with  3 g of sugar when mixed with 7 oz of water.  It comes in several flavors so I buy the individual packets because I travel a lot and they are easy for me to pack in the suitcase.  However, it is cheaper by the tub.  Their website sells a sample box of the flavors.  Wishing all the best!

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active