protein shakes

cutebutpsycho30
on 8/2/14 2:47 pm

Part of my diet recommendations made by my surgeon to help with weight loss was to drink 2-3 protein shakes a day and for dinner eat a very sensible meal consisting of 4oz of lean protein and 1/2 cup of veggies or a prepackaged meal such as a lean cuisine or smart one as long as it's under 300 calories and 40gm of carbs. 

The high protein meal replacement shakes they recommended is Bariatric Advantage. They said a bag will last me about 2 weeks so when I order it get 2 to last the month. My husband kinda freaked out at the cost of each bag....like $70. I don't mind spending the money because when u think about it I probably spend $140 a month easily on breakfast and lunch daily while at work. But what concerns is if I get it and dont like it I would hate to waste the money. 

Can I get some opinions about the type of protein shakes you guys drink??? Thanks in advance 😊

Ladytazz
on 8/2/14 3:08 pm

Honestly I don't think it makes that much difference.  I get in 100 grams of protein a day, at least.  That is usually 2 shakes a day plus food.  That is about 2 canisters a month.  I buy Walmart for $15, Body Fortress.

They say whey isolate is the best but I can't afford much more then the $30 I already spend on protein.

I don't know if your doctor has a financial interest in your purchase, like selling them from his office, but I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the $15 can and the $70 bag.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

rocky513
on 8/3/14 10:26 pm - WI

Body Fortress makes a whey isolate.  I buy mine at Walmart for $22.00.  It only comes in vanilla and chocolate flavors.  The label looks a lot like the regular formula but it has the word Isolate in large letters across the front.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

dstgirl2000
on 8/5/14 6:12 am

Like the reply above, I also ge in about 100 gram daily with shakes and food.  I've also used the same Walmart brand as well and it was a great protein source and great price.  The last couple of years I've switched to Premier Protein.  It's an equally great protein source and price.  I use it now for the ready to go convenience.  I blended all of my Body Fortress shakes, but the Premier comes in already mixed boxes.  I get them at Sam's, Costco or BJ's for about $18-$24 for a 12- 18 count box.  At 30 grams per serving, it's a winner with a great taste.

Keep it moving!!

JJ

poet_kelly
on 8/2/14 3:58 pm - OH

Contact BA and ask if you can get a sample before you buy two bags.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Adoptionmama
on 8/2/14 10:04 pm

I prefer ready to drink shakes and I use Premier Protein.  I get them from Walmart or Walgreens.  It is usually between $1.50 and $2.00/shake (sometimes there are sales and/or coupons). They are 30 g of protein/11 ounces.  I would spend way more than $4.00 on two meals. Good luck!

RachelS2014
on 8/3/14 12:43 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 07/07/14

The Vitamin Shoppe has samples of protein powders for $2 that you can try before you buy a big bag or container. That's what I did. My favorite ended up being Jay Robb brand chocolate whey powder. But Nectar was also good. Hopefully you have a Vitamin Shoppe in your area.

Mary Gee
on 8/3/14 1:29 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I agree with getting samples from BA and Vitamin Shop as mentioned above.

I went to GNC and bought Protein Maxx - 120 calories, 4 carbs and 20 g protein.  They'll make you a sample shake if you ask.  Think it costs about $27.  

For recipes, check out Eggface's site -- loads of recipes for shakes, etc.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/3/14 1:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I've tried an insane number of shakes and my favorites are Nectar and premier protein. Do try the samples -- 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

cutebutpsycho30
on 8/3/14 4:26 am

Thanks for all your replies!!! Definitely going to request some samples from BA and hit up Vitamin Shoppe 

Most Active