Osteoporosis

mrsbaggins
on 8/2/14 12:21 pm

I had RNY in 2003. Recently I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and put on Fosamax. Do any of you have an experience with this after RNY? I'm concerned with stomach safety. I no longer have access to my original surgeon because he moved his practice out of NJ and my experience has been most general practitioners haven't a clue. Thanks!

Ladytazz
on 8/2/14 3:11 pm

My first WLS was in 2002 and I also have Osteoporosis.  My endocrinologist has me doing Reclast infusions.  A year after my first infusion the Osteoporosis has reversed and actually almost out of the range for Osteoporosis. 

I've had 2, a year apart then I think I get one more at 2 or 3 years apart and I think that is it.

I also watch my vitamin D and get in my calcium.

Osteoporosis is manageable but I'm not sure about Fosamax.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mrsbaggins
on 8/3/14 5:11 am

Thanks for your input. I'm going to do more research on my own before I bring it up again with my doctor. He didn't seem to think I'd have a problem, but I feel unsure about it.

MsBatt
on 8/3/14 8:22 am

I would do a LOT of research before I agreed to this treatment. I've read a number of horror stories about side effects.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/3/14 2:56 am - Belleville, IL

Wow, I have been having this problem too. I chalked it up to being Post menopausal and over 50. I ended up falling and dislocating my shoulder and breaking my shoulder in 3 places. Xrays showed osteoporosis and I thought I was being good by taking 5000 Tender D3 daily and 800mg calcium daily. As some have said, labs can "look good" but you can still be osteopenia or osteoporotic.  My doctor didn't recommend either Fosomax or reclast because of my RNY and autoimmune disease. I'm not sure what to do my self but I wish you luck!  LadyTazz, what are the reclast infusions like?

Warmly,

Ducky

Most Active