Does not eating enough make your weight loss stall??

cday77
on 8/4/14 11:00 pm

I'll be 7 weeks post-op tomorrow and I haven't lost any weight in a couple of weeks.  I've lost a total of 43 lbs. (14 from 2 week pre op diet) and haven't lost anymore since.  I don't eat very much at all because I'm just not hungry.  Is it possible to stop losing weight because you're not eating enough??  I haven't been getting in the required amount of protein but when I eat I make sure it's something that has protein, I don't waste eating on stuff that doesn't but I know I'm not getting enough.  I decided today to just go back to drinking shakes because I wasn't sure if that's what was making me stall.

Any advice or personal experiences are appreciated!

basilmk
on 8/5/14 12:09 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I'm almost seven months out and still have one shake every day.....you have to get that protein!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

bertgamble2001
on 8/5/14 12:11 am - Willits, CA

I am no expert, but I believe that the stalls that people run into is the body's way of preserving itself.  When you have a dramatic drop in caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode and tries to hold as much weight as possible in case food supplies stay short.  After a while, it cannot maintain the stall because there just isn't any new calories coming in, so you start to lose weight again.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

cday77
on 8/5/14 12:22 am

I hope that's all it is.  I can't imagine going through all of this just to lose 43 lbs. 

Valerie G.
on 8/5/14 12:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Stalls will happen on and off while you're losing, however, that being said, not eating enough could also slow down your metabolism.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 2:44 am

It's not really a 'stall' until you've gone at least four weeks without losing either pounds or inches. It's unreasonable to expect to lose weight every single day. *I* never suffered a stall---want to know my secret?

I threw the scales away. (*grin*) Seriously, I weighed ONLY at the doc's office, and each and every time the numbers had gone down. I saved mys elf a LOT of stress this way.

Now---yes, eating too little makes your metabolism become more thrifty. Most of us dieted our way to morbid obesity. Some of us were born with a thrifty metabolism, one that could store a LOT of calories. Dieting just made it more and more thrifty. Even people who were lucky enough to not be born with a thrifty metabolism can damage their metabolism by extreme dieting.

How many total calories are you eating every day? How many grams of protein, fat, and carbs? How many ounces of fluids? Tell us this, and maybe we can make some good suggestions. Oh, and if you'll post your surgery type and date on your profile, that info---very important info!---will show up each time you post.

White Dove
on 8/5/14 4:44 am, edited 8/5/14 4:45 am - Warren, OH

Go to RESOURCES s at the top of the page and pick POST-OP PLANNER.  Put in your height, weight, and percentage of excess weight that you want to lose, the calculate.  It will give you an estimate of how much you will probably lose each month and when you will reach your goal.  For many of us, your loss would be right on track.  The planner was very accurate for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active