information does surgery leave a big scar?

Chickabilly
on 8/4/14 2:18 pm

basilmk
on 8/5/14 12:14 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

At seven months out, I have six little pink spots that are gradually fading.

there are variables such as what type surgery you have, I.e., open and how well you heal.

Either way, it's worth it!

Good luck!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Valerie G.
on 8/5/14 12:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll either have one big scar or bunches of little scars, depending on how they do the procedure.

Either way, your stomach will look like a deflated jiggly pile of flesh when you lose weight, so the last thing anyone will notice is scars.....and they can be fixed if you get plastics.

Seriously..it's the least of your problems.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 2:36 am

LOL---I'm with Val on this one! My DS was done open, and at almost 11 years post-op, the scar is the least noticeable thing about my tummy. After losing 180 pounds, it's all saggy skin, covered with stretch marks, and jiggly with my remaining excess fat. (Most people don't lose 100% of their excess weight. You need to be aware of this going in.)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/14 7:58 am - OH

Like Val and MsBatt, I had open surgery and the midline incision was almost invisible.  What IS visible is the burn-like scarring from where my tummy tuck was done (along the same incision line) and turned necrotic (and the skin and dead tissue had to be cut out for several weeks... And the re-grown skin looks like it was burned).

My incisions from my lap gall bladder surgery are also almost unnoticeable unless you know where to look.

Yep, the scarring is the least of your worries if you are heavy enough to qualify for WLS. A very minor issue in the scheme of things, so don't fret about it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MyLady Heidi
on 8/6/14 5:23 am

I had lap gallbladder surgery in 2001, open rny in 2005, tummy tuck in 2006 and I just had a lap ercp a few weeks ago.  I don't have a pic with the scars since they healed from my last surgery but here is one where you can see my stomach pretty clearly and all you really notice is the stretch marks not the faint scars.

Crystal M.
on 8/7/14 8:48 am
VSG on 06/23/14

I am 6.5 weeks Post Op Laparoscopic VSG. If you check out my profile, you can see some photos of my scars over the weeks. I too was worried about scars, but I am VERY happy with my scars! My surgeon did wonderful work!

All things in good time!