Meds allowed after surgery

Becca_Hetrick
on 8/3/14 9:33 am - Portland , CT

I am on methadone and birth control, and have read several articles that conflict each other.

CAN I continue my methadone after surgery, and, after the blood thinners are finished, birth control??

Chelley0285
on 8/3/14 12:43 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

I think that is a question for the doctors. I have some chronic illnesses and am required to take several prescriptions for life. I have an appointment Tuesday to review the list with my primary care physician to discuss which ones to hold, for how long, which ones to convert to liquid (if available), crush if crushable, etc...

poet_kelly
on 8/3/14 3:50 pm - OH

Please discuss this with your doctor.  This is not the kind of thing you should be getting advice on from strangers on the internet.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/3/14 4:56 pm - UK

Only your doctor can tell you this. Even if someone on here told you their personal experience, you have no way of knowing if it would apply to you or even if it is true! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Becca_Hetrick
on 8/3/14 7:33 pm - Portland , CT

Thank you, anyway 😊

MsBatt
on 8/4/14 6:47 am

This is going to depend in part on which form of WLS you choose to have.

With the Sleeve, I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to take any medications you can take now. The Sleeve with leave you with a fully-functional stomach, no blind remnant stomach, and no malabsorption.

With the DS, you can *probably* take any medication you need, but extended release meds might require some dosage adjustments. Like the Sleeve, the DS has a fully-functional stomach and no blind remnant, but the DS does have some significant malabsorption. You'd really need to check with your pharmacist about where in the gut a specific medication is primarily absorbed. (My surgeon told me that with my DS, I *might* not absorb certain forms of BC pills and certain forms of psych meds. Fortunately, I didn't need either of those. *grin*)

With the RNY, you will definitely have to give up any NSAIDs, for a number of reasons. Again, there's also the malabsorption to consider. While the RNY doesn't bypass as much of the small intestine as the DS does, what it does bypass is the portion where a lot of medications are primarily absorbed. Again, it's "ask the pharmacist" time.

Most Active