Well... Just my luck (and I mean that in both ways)

TRS_OH
on 8/1/14 11:46 am, edited 8/2/14 3:24 pm - Los Angeles
VSG on 07/29/14

Hello all,

I just has a VSG preformed two days ago.  But it wasn't the plan.  First off, I want to say that the doctors and care givers at mexicali-bariatric were perfect. I have no regrets on choosing them for my surgery.

Dr. Ungson was my surgeon and prior to the surgery we had exchanged emails on questions that I had regarding procedures. I had done a ton of homework on all the procedures I was interested in. On the day of my pre-op tests Dr U. took me into a room and we spoke for over ½ hour on what would be the best procedure (for me) to do…  In a final handshake we agreed to do a SADI-S with a 3 meter nutritional limb. (PLEASE do not get into a SADIs debate here… It’s really not the point of this post)

Anyway, I was excited and ready for this procedure. On the day of surgery, I saw a dynamic painting in the main ER control room of a surgeon operating and it showed Jesus standing beside a surgeon; the surgeon looked in despair of the state of the procedure. I found it inspiring.  I do not pray often, but I decided to that day. I thanked god for having given me the good fortune to have Dr. U as my surgeon. And I thanked him for helping me finally decide on exactly what I was going to have done. I of course then asked to please watch over me, and although unlikely, to help Dr U. also if necessary.

During Surgery: After the VSG was preformed Dr U. measured the length of the first section of my duodenum (between the pyloric valve and where the bile ducts connect).  It turns out my length is abnormally short. Because of this I'm not a candidate for any Duodenal type bypass.  Quote: “Observations: Insufficient length of the first portion of the duodenum impossible to perform duodenal switch or SADI-S”

When I recovered and was told I had only the VSG I thought I heard something wrong.  I thought maybe there was a mix-up of some sort. But shortly afterward, Dr. David Beltran came to my room and drew a detailed sketch of what exactly the problem was (I had a length of 3CM where normally there is 5CM or more). All the surgeons together decided that the risk was too great to do a bypass in my case. He also admitted that this is rare in that he had only seen this two times before me.

I’ve always been lucky when it comes to getting around aliments and injuries. And I had full faith that this procedure would be no different. I’m so very thankful for the doctors to make the decision that they did. Maybe another doc would have made the cut and taken a chance. If they did, the complications could have been very serious, and possibly not repairable. 

But that said I still feel sad... I think I’m just feeling ungrateful for not have gotten what I wanted. And now I’m scared I’ll fail in the long term with just the VSG. I guess I’ll see…

Thanks for listening…

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/1/14 11:59 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I wish you great success.  It's yours for the taking. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

TRS_OH
on 8/2/14 12:28 am, edited 8/2/14 12:29 am - Los Angeles
VSG on 07/29/14

Thanks...  I woke up this morning with a bit of a better attitude.  I've already started to loose weight with the VSG. And my hunger is under control. Todays goal is to get my fluids and protein in.  Isopure is just nasty, but I found if you blend it with one 20 Oz bottle of Vitamin water and chill it, it actually tastes pretty good. More like Gatorade.

I simply need to focus on the positives and do my best. I got a lot of feedback that if I did not get a bypass I'd not maintain long term.  I sort of got that in my head and that is what really knocked my attitude.  But it is what it is. The VSG is the tool I was given, and I'll do my best to make it work.  Thanks again. :)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/2/14 4:26 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm sorry that you couldn't get what you originally wanted, but you can maintain your weight loss long term, there are plenty of people who have maintained their weight loss with the vsg alone, don't let all those naysayers who said that you won't be able to maintain long term derail you from your goals. I'm only 3 months out, but I try to keep the negativity of other people out of my head when it comes to my wls. Good luck in your weight loss journey.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/2/14 4:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to add that attitude is everything.  I didn't have a VSG, but I have two people in my support group that are long term success stories who have.  One lost over 250 pounds and the other, lost nearly 200 pounds -- both have been maintaining for more than 4 years.  SOOOO, not only is success possible but also likely with commitment to your plan.  I have full faith in you!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

happyteacher
on 8/8/14 9:59 am

Maintaining for 2 years now without issue... no reason to "expect" that you cannot maintain well with a sleeve!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 2:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You'll do wonderfully if you stick to the plan and stay vigilant and determined!  Don't let the way things started off derail you or lead to self-sabatoge.  You can do it :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

D66
on 8/6/14 2:15 am

I do believe based on your post...God was watching. Another doc may have not made a great decision for you and you could haven't ended up with major issues later....I certainly wishing you all the best and thank you much for posting.

Please, always shout out with info or questions.  We're here for support and not judge.

Keep us posted on how you're doing

Darlene

MyLady Heidi
on 8/6/14 3:29 am

Success or failure is in your hands.  You have all the control.  Your old life that got you needing wls is over, start enjoying your new one.

Member Services
on 8/6/14 4:18 am - Irvine, CA

Most Active