Surgery 8/11 How will I feel after?

VRoni
on 8/1/14 7:04 am, edited 8/1/14 7:46 am - Susanville , CA
with

My surgery date for sleeve is 8/11. Its a 7 to 8 hour drive for us one way to my bariatric surgeon and after many many trips, hotel expenses, gas, etc. Its is taking a financial toll. Dr. Wants me to stay for 10 days after surugery in area. Its going to cost approx 2000.00 for hotel (summer season rates are high). Have offer of a motorhome to use for this so my question is.....How am I going to feel after surgery? Will I feel like just holing up in a hotel room for 10days or will I be able n feel like doing some sight seeing type things, camping etc. That would be within a hour or less of Dr.  and hospital. We think the motor home idea will save a lot of money but know if it would be the thing to do if not going to feel well. I think I can deal with a little pain or discomfort but if feeling sickly or "Barfy" a hotel room maybe more comfortable. I know everyone is different just want to get idea how others felt after hospital release? Trying to figure if we should take the motor home and save on a few nights cost of hotel or just take car stay in hotel all 10 days.....

drmroth
on 8/1/14 10:00 am, edited 8/3/14 10:25 pm

I to had to travel for my surgery - had the RNY. I felt really good after my surgery, better than I do now at 5 weeks out. I think it was because of the pain medication that I was feeling really good. At that time I was able to walk a mile a day with no problem which isn't the case anymore. I was in a hotel in San Fran. I did sleep a lot, no vomiting, but did need use of frig and microwave for meals. 

There's no way to judge how you're going to feel but you want to be comfortable - you just had major surgery. Hopefully everything will go smoothly but I always like to prepare for the unexpected so I personally would go with hotel. Keep in mind that you may need a drugstore nearby late at night - I did many times and was happy that there was one right around the corner from hotel. 

Whatever you choose I wish you luck. 

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 10:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are a few extremely resilient people out here, but expect to feel like total crap.  You will probably not feel like sight seeing or even being social at all (I didn't).  I laid listlessly for a few weeks.  It was all I could do to get in my fluids and vitamins, then figure out how to eat.  

It's very important that you stick locally to the surgeon.  Mine wanted you there two weeks if you lived more than an hour away.  They want you close by in case of any complications, for if you had one, other surgeons don't want the liability of poking into someone else's work.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cjbaby1018
on 8/1/14 11:13 am - Forney, TX

I felt like crap I stayed in bed for weeks I'm only 5 weeks out and still feeling poopie. So plan on resting. Good luck HunHun

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/1/14 11:39 am - Belleville, IL

Your mileage may vary. I have given child birth. had ovarian cancer and a hysterectomy and other surgery...All of it was a piece of cake but the laproscopic RNY was HORRIFIC to me. The most painful surgery I have EVER had. It took two weeks before I even could move well without extreme pain, feeling like I would pass out or crying. That is just me. I like to think I am "slightly tuff" I do have a lot of tattoos and those were easy.  I think it was the gas pressure in me, it was just horrific, even morphine did not touch the pain. I just laid in bed moaning in misery.

That being said...I have seen others the same day of surgery up and around with Minimal discomfort. (My best friend was talking on the phone to me, walking around with minimal discomfort after her RNY) It was her second surgery. So...Your mileage may vary. You may not know how you respond even after precious surgery (or if there is complications...) This IS major surgery...Not just a minor procedure. Complications can and do arise. How you feel you cannot predict. There is nothing WRONG with a motor home, but I knew that traveling home every little tiny jolt on the highway was excruciating. You want to be NEAR your surgery in case you have complications. Pain meds CAN make you very "barfy" they did me (Was prescribed Liquid Lortab for at home) and I was very nauseous.  Again your mileage may vary. Prepare for the worst, if your journey is easy then that is great.

Warmly,

Ducky

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/1/14 11:42 am - Belleville, IL

I just wanted to add all the other posters are right on the mark...Sight seeing is the LAST thing you will feel like doing. You will feel crappy and you NEED to stay near your surgeon. You can have life-threatening complications and problems and will need to be where you can get help and meds right away...Think of this surgery like a HEART BYPASS, because it IS that serious and major... It's not a vacation but something to help you get better... And it will get better but it takes time. The better you heal and follow what your surgeon wants and recommends the SAFER you will be and the quicker you will heal.

Warmly,

Ducky

VRoni
on 8/1/14 12:12 pm, edited 8/1/14 12:16 pm - Susanville , CA
with

Thank you all for the reply and comments.  Well that all sums it all up Hotel it is..........I think I really knew that but was hoping it would be defentant than when I had major tumor hisorectomy surgery and was down for 2 months.....Getting a little scared now....

fri38cy
on 8/1/14 1:16 pm

I personally had a good experience.  I was off pain meds my second day home and back to driving the next week.  I did go shopping which was a little much but I have felt really good since my surgery.  I haven't had any trouble with fluids but I always have my bottle of water with me.

Good luck

annamariebryant
on 8/2/14 5:33 am, edited 8/2/14 5:34 am

I had my surgery on the 9th if July, my pain tolerance in really high, so I only had two doses of pain meds. After I realized the meds were not going to help with gas I quit them. I was ridiculously exhausted the first week. Week two I started my vitamins and and soft food my energy has almost fully returned.. I have been back to work day 3 after surgery. I did have to fight through the exhaustion at first. Now I feel great and was given the clearance for swimming. I've been going to our local water park for a little over a week now. Good luck with your surgery and know that you will be exhausted right after.

carlak
on 8/2/14 6:59 am - Bradenton, FL

I think a hotel would be a better choice. Call the hospital admission office and ask them if any of the area hotels will give you a discount. 

I used to work in hospital admissions and we used to have a deal wiith the area hotels in the area. Or the hospital might have facilities for u to stay in for your family. Just a thought.

Carla

image hosting site