Well made the decision and had inital consult for WLS

cutebutpsycho30
on 8/1/14 11:00 am

I finally made the decision to explore WLS and i had my initial consultation today. i did however hit a few snags in the road.

1. The doc wants my BMI at 50 before surgery so i have to get to at least 300 lbs (current weight is 423)

2. Insurance thru work wont cover procedure until I have been employed with them for 5 years and i just celebrated 4 years today.

3. Next follow up visit with them is 08/03/2015.

But even though i hit some rough spots, I didn't let it spoil my goals/dreams. the doctor did give me a diet plan that i need to follow to help with weight loss which is cool and the good news is i have a year to get to a BMI of 50, which would put me at 300 lbs. My current weight upon visit was 423.8 lbs... i wanted to cry when i saw it but it also put a lot of things into perspective too. 1 year to get to 300 lbs..... very obtainable goal!!! Dont know how easy its gonna be to follow the diet, but I just need to keep my focus and remember what i am working towards and that is a better me!!!!!!

Gwen M.
on 8/1/14 11:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You can do it!!  Keep your eyes on the prize and be vigilant!  I find it helpful to keep a food journal, many others find it helpful to log everything into a program like MyFitnessPal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lburrell
on 8/2/14 9:52 am

A year might seem like a long time but it will go fast. I had to follow a 6 month weight loss program before my insurance would cover the surgery and it went fast. It also gave me time to practice the behavior changes you'll need after surgery. During my 6 months it helped me to stay motivated knowing that surgery would give me a nice boost after doing it on my own. I lost 49 pounds on my own in 6 months so 100 is definitely doable. Exercise has always been my biggest struggle so I really committed to a walking regime over the 6 months. I subscribed to audible and listen to books as I walk. It really made walking enjoyable because I only listen to books while walking and I get so into the story that I get out there and walk so I can listen to my book! You'll find your incentive tools too! Good luck and Kudos to you for taking the first step!

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

MsBatt
on 8/3/14 3:15 am

Since you're got to wait a year in order to get insurance coverage, spend the time doing some in-depth research. I strongly urge you to look into a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

The DS has the same fully-functional small stomach as the VSG/Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass.

D66
on 8/4/14 1:00 am

Yay, good for you! ~ time will pass before you know it.

As it was already said; Keep your eye on the prize and goal in site.

Wishing you all the best....reach out when you need a little "push/support" along the way

Darlene

Most Active