Gallstones after WLS?

drmroth
on 8/1/14 6:56 am

Anyone get gallstones after WLS? My doctor put me on a preventive medicine so that I don't get them but I hate taking it because it makes me nauseous. 

poet_kelly
on 8/1/14 7:21 am - OH

About 32% of WLS patients get gall stones unless they take that medication to prevent them - then only about 2% do.  So if it was me, I'd try to take it even if it does make you nauseous.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 10:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Gallstones are very common, which is why they put you on the medicine.  There are no guarantees though - for many wound up with another surgery anyhow.  I bless my doc for having the foresight to remove mine all together.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 8/1/14 11:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

try taking it with food,unless it says not to.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/1/14 11:31 am - Belleville, IL

My surgeon didn't offer the Gallstone medicine...1 year after my surgery not only did I get Gallstones but necrotic (dead) gallbladder which is not only life threatening but horrible.... Trust me..Take the medicine. You are going to have to take vitamins and calcium for life...This is a lifestyle CHANGE not a quick fix, you need to be disciplined and take care of yourself.  Your Doc can give you an anti-nausea med if needed.

Warmly,

Ducky

Skinnytiff
on 8/2/14 2:06 pm
VSG on 01/30/12

Yes I got them. I am 2 1/2 years out from surgery. Had a few attacks over the years. The past few months got weirder. I thought I had another hiatal hernia. Had it checked for nothing there. Then had a ultrasound on my GB 3 weeks ago, had one gallstone and sludge. Had dull pain that wouldn't go away for a day and a half. Ended up having my GB out 9 days ago. Yeah its not fun to have a second surgery. This one really hurt. My doctor now offers GB removal at the time of surgery after a ultrasound has been done to check for stones and sludge.

Most Active