Looking to have sleeve gastrectomy...I'm nervous and having second thoughts...

Anthony L.
on 7/31/14 6:43 pm

Hi all, my name is Anthony and I am planning on having the sleeve gastrectomy done soon. I'm 30 years old and weighing in at 355lbs. I am very excited to have the operation done and start my new life. As I have read many of you have been nervous and had second thoughts. But, did any of you have second thoughts because you can't eat the things you loved? I know that I NEED this operation but I'm also scared to lose one of my best friends for life, food. Is that dumb or what? Thank you in advance for your comments,

Anthony 

jenn1469
on 7/31/14 11:31 pm

I say do it go to support groups that will help.

Jennifer

White Dove
on 8/1/14 12:14 am - Warren, OH

I did not know how I was going to manage to give up pasta when I was married into an Italian family.  I mean we ate spaghetti twice a week and had lasagna next to the turkey and ham at holiday dinners.

I found out that I was no longer hungry and really did not want those foods anymore.  Being thin was much better. 

It was hard but it was not that hard because I was not hungry anymore and I could not eat a lot of food even if I had wanted to. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 12:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not into deprivation, either, so here was my approach (8.5 yrs post op DS here)

Eat all of the protein and some of the veggies on your plate, saving the last two bites of space in your stomach for an indulgence, be it some bread or chocolate cake...your choice.  You get your treat, your stomach is full, and you're not getting into trouble.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jiliana2
on 8/1/14 12:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Hi Anthony.

I think there are a lot of reasons behind why we got to the point of needing/wanting this surgery. For many of us, it's in our heads. And as they say, this surgery can fix your stomach, but it cannot fix your head. That's why so many WLS patients enlist the aid of a therapist or a psychologist to explore what exactly is our relationship with food and how we can change it for the better.

Simply put, some of us need a therapist on our team of professionals. I would suggest it might be a good idea to look at that with someone who is qualified, and determine why you consider food as one of your best friends. It's not dumb at all. Quite the contrary. Food takes on many roles for people and a friend, a constant companion, is definitely one that some people use.

It certainly couldn't hurt to talk this over with someone. Your excitement is showing through your fear, and I bet with a bit of assistance, you can conquer that fear and move forward.

I wish you all the best! Please keep us posted on how your progress goes.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Cece2014
on 8/1/14 1:37 am

Congrats on taking the first step by considering surgery. As the other posts stress, most of the changes are in your head! Please take advantage of all pre-op and post-op support groups, education sessions and reach out to others on the same journey. I like the suggestion of eating the protein and vegies first, then "treat" for the last bite or two.

I'm on the pre-op low carb diet - after one week it was easy to say no to carbs and sugars, after two weeks I wasn't as hungry, now in week 9 I'm not tempted at all, the lbs are coming off and I fee great.  I know it will take more than a few months of success: what I am finding is my THINKING has changed - and this is first time I can truly say that.

Best of luck!

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

danixbanani
on 8/1/14 3:44 am, edited 8/1/14 3:44 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12

I totally get your fear of losing food.  I had it, we all have it in some way.  All I can say is, it does get better.  I had my surgery right before Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday.  I stared longingly at the stuffing, mashed potatoes, hell even the gravy and FORGET about the desserts.  I thought I was going to die.  A year later, at Thanksgiving again, I found that I didn't even really miss those foods and I could easily sit in the company of my family eating said foods.  Sometimes you learn to make fun substitutions too like mashed cauliflower.  I love mashed cauliflower more than I love mashed potatoes...and that's coming from an Irish girl!!  Crazy right? 

If you like to cook, this will be a fun time to experiment with new types of foods, flavors, spices, etc.  Go to world according to eggface, she has amazing recipes.  Your life doesn't have to be all boring grilled chicken and steamed veggies post-surgery.  There's so much food out there in the world that we sleevers can enjoy!

Congrats and good luck moving forward. 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Gwen M.
on 8/1/14 4:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had the sleeve and I haven't had to give up any of the foods I love. There is nothing I can't eat. 

I choose not to eat a lot of things, but if I really crave something it's no problem for me to have a few bites. This is one of the reasons I chose the sleeve over the other surgical options. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anthony L.
on 8/1/14 5:01 am

Thank you everyone for your messages and support. I'm glad I found this site, you are all awesome. I am scheduled for a support group on the 12th of august and my psychological evaluation on the 13th. It is awesome to know I'm not alone and that things get better over time. I love that I don't have to give up everything I just can't eat very much of it. I really appreciate the advice and encouragement,  I do feel a lot better. Congratulations to everyone on the weight loss and keeping it off, I know it can be a struggle sometimes. I'm very excited to start my new life and be healthy. Thank you again!

56sunShine14
on 8/1/14 10:25 am

Anthony, food has not been your best friend, it has been a wolf in sheeps clothing.

You are almost as big as I am but I am almost twice your age.  I have been obese ALL of my adult life and in being so, have robbed myself and my family of the fun we SHOULD have been having together because I was afraid of surgery.  My husband passed away 20 years ago and the few relationships I have had since didn't work partially because I hated my body and couldn't be who I am inside.When the lap band came out, and was being approved here in the states, I jumped on that one.  For me, it was a mistake and not so for others.  I just had it removed and will be getting the sleeve hopefully in a couple of months. 

Research what you want and make certain you can live with it.  Then, get the weight off and have your life!  Food is a necessity for living.  You aren't living if it makes you a prisoner in our own body.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active