Don't mess with my food!

glady
on 7/29/14 4:30 pm

I have been slacking in my protein intake so for the last week I have been extra vigilant and planning my meals. My family doesn't understand how much effort goes into counting all the protein. 

Yesteday I made a meal of a salmon fillet avacado and  five pork dumplings.  This is supposed to last me all day. I eat a little then save some for later in the fridge. My mom sees what im cooking and asks men if she can have a bite. I want to say um no, I need every bite of protein but I let her have a bite. Then I eat some and put the rest in the fridge for later. Later comes around and part of my meal is gone! My mom decided to have more. This meal was a big part of my protein for the day. Now I have to figure out how to make up the protein and its freaking hard when I dont have the money to buy enough groceries. 

She also does this with my protein shakes, sips here and there and she always wants what Im cooking. I dont have the money to by extra of everything and then i run out and Im left with crackers and cereal! Ahhhhhh. Its just so frustrating. No I cant share this plate with you. Its not just my mom, its family and friends. I have to hide food in my room! 

Its already hard enough. Just leave my food alone! Im so peeved and she just doesn't comprehend. She also does this thing where she copies how much I eat and wants the same vitamins. She is not obese. This is not a fad diet. All the protein shakes and vitamins are too expensive to by double of everything. Then she also likes to buy weird foods like almond milk and sugar free cranberry juice and then acts like im being picky because I wont eat that. Stop it! 

tooshky
on 7/29/14 7:30 pm

Sounds like you need to have a sit down and talk with her about how important this is to you.  Tell her what you've told us - how hard it is to get all your protein in, how much it costs, etc.  She may not realize how much it's affecting you.

Mary Gee
on 7/29/14 8:39 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I agree with Tooshky.  Or tell her if she chips in on groceries, you'll be glad to cook extra for her to enjoy.  

When money is tight, it's very frustrating when others help themselves.  What's the shopping situation in your home?  Sounds like you live with your Mom and others?  If Mom is helping herself to "your" food, is there something from "her" food that you can take to replace yours?

It's tough when you're trying so hard to do things right!  Hope you can talk to your Mom, as suggested.^^^  Good luck.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Tracy D.
on 7/29/14 11:53 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oh, this would SO **** me off when I was in the early stages post-op!  I would have exactly enough string cheese or yogurts or whatever counted out to last me for the week....and then I'd come home on Wednesday and it would be gone!!  I got really upset and told my family that THEY can eat whatever the hell they want and to keep their hands off the teeny-tiny amount of food I can actually eat.  

You need to set some boundaries with these people because they obviously have NONE!  I would never think of going over to a friend's or family member's house and rifling through their cupboards and fridge to eat whatever I wanted.  Stand up for yourself!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kimberlyo
on 7/30/14 2:51 am - CA
RNY on 04/28/14

I'm sorry but I'd give anything to share this journey/food with my mom! She passed 2 1/2 yrs ago. 

Kimberly O

The Salty Hag
on 7/30/14 9:31 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I do agree with you to a point-my mother died in 2005 and I miss her every day, but the OP does have a reason to be upset no matter if it's with her mother or another family member.

It is very frustrating when you are limited in what you can eat and you do everything you can to ensure you have enough of the proper food only to find it gone when you need it. 

The OP has every right to her feelings....we do not need to try to make her feel guilty or like she's not grateful to have her mother alive still. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Hislady
on 7/30/14 4:42 am - Vancouver, WA

Aftern you have your talk with mom put your food in a box in the frig and put a big hands off sign on it. Then they can't say oh I didn't know I wasn't supposed to eat that. If nothing else they will have to work a little harder to get to it and just maybe it will remind them that it isn't thier food to eat! We expect others to know things but if we don't tell them they think it is ok to do.

Eggface
on 7/30/14 5:44 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Thankfully I cook pretty much the same for anyone that lives in or comes to my house... I do provide bread and a few things that I personally don't eat post op if people are around but generally... it's my way or the highway. I buy the groceries and cook so I figure the added expense = the time and effort and UGH cleanup it would take for 2 different meals. I was lucky my Mum (she's my best friend) who lives with me was super supportive and used my wls as a opportunity for her to make some healthy food changes too. She prefers my lasagna (grilled zucchini) to pasta and has favorite requests that are wls friendly. This week she has wanted me to make one of those Chike Iced Coffee shakes: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/07/post- weight-loss-surgery-menus-day-in_9.html made into a frappucino it's been sooo hot here. 

I guess I might just itemize if I were you and share with her the cost breakdown... then ask her if she would like to half the bill you will share ;) 

~Michelle "Shelly"

P.S. The salmon sounds delicious LOL I'd probably steal a bite too.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Cathy W.
on 7/30/14 6:15 am

You need to have a sit down mom/family meeting!  Let them know that how you feel and how this is impacting you.  Just because they are family doesn't allow them to eat your food that you've purchased for yourself and cooked for yourself. 

When we have surgery, we've taken charge of our health......this is part of that.  You need to be an advocate for yourself and tell them (like you said) "Stop it!" 

katefitzcap
on 7/30/14 7:47 am
RNY on 02/03/14

just have the chat with her and put a note on the food going forward. and i agree that if you have to ask her to pitch in for groceries...then do so :) you should be able to ask your mom anything. i know its frustrating...but from even before surgery until now, she should know how important it is. and...invest in a great protein shake.  Optimum Nutrition on bodybuilding.com is excellent. the have smaller and larger quantities and great flavors.  it comes down to you have to invest a little in this lifestyle because thats exactly what it is. what about tuna fish? chicken salad? i make mine with miracle whip. they are cheaper alternatives and don't cost a lot. or what about hard boiled eggs?

Most Active