Cheating 1 week post op-sleeve

Tracy D.
on 7/29/14 11:57 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Get thee to a therapist and Overeaters Anonymous meeting pronto....you are in bad shape and in danger of actually physically hurting yourself.  These compulsions aren't going to go away just because you had surgery and - you're hearing it from the mouth of someone who has pushed the limits on this - they can actually get worse the further out from surgery you get.  You're not on a slippery slope, hon - you're on a fast train to hell.  Been there, done that, not fun.   

So, I'm not kidding - get some help TODAY! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ladygodiva1228
on 7/29/14 11:57 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It really sounds to me that you were not prepared for the drastic change that is needed to be successful with a WLS. 

I'm not going to sugar coat this.  My doctor has done thousand of WLS and only two of his patients have died and both were not due to the surgery itself, but they couldn't handle not being able to eat like they did before.  One of the patients was found in his closet dead with big mac wraps and uneaten fries. He blew his stomach open at the staple line and bled out along with all the junk food going into is abdomial cavity.  The other patient did the same, but she went to the hospital when she couldn't stop vomiting blood.  Unfortunately it was to late for her and she also passed away.

If you miss large amounts of food, soda, and chocolate so bad you need get some help now or yes you have just wasted a large amount of money. 

I would also contact your surgeon and tell him/her what you have done.  They may want to see you to make sure you haven't damaged your new stomach.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

NYMom222
on 8/1/14 3:12 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you feel the need to eat something more make sure it's soft-cottage cheese-yoghurt etc. It might not be liquids but it won't damage you. I have read a lot of doctors protocols for eating on many websites and they are all different. I was only on full liquid for 3 days and then moved to the soft yogurts, cream soup etc. Pick yourself up and move on. I had one woman tell me when she couldn't take this stage she used to chew the food and spit it out, just to get the taste an sensation of chewing. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sarah S.
on 8/1/14 3:27 pm - TX

I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time.  I have been working with a group in Austin, TX which is focused not on a specific diet, but the reasons we over eat.  Let me reccommend the books "Intuitive Eating" and "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" by Geneen Roth.  Both are great, helpful books.

Best of luck to you.  Hang in there.

GretchenIV
on 8/1/14 4:11 pm

Brenda,

Do not beat yourself up. Actually you might have felt better if you did throw up and got rid of those calories. But don't think about what you did wrong, pick yourself up and start over. Remind yourself that you did this procedure for a better, healthier you and make a decisive effort to make better choices at your next meal.  

I had my surgery, for the gastric sleeve in November, 2012 and I've slipped several times. Have cheat meals and/or days, but I always return to making better, healthier choices to balance out the bad one, because I too find it hard to completely escape it. 

A key also is using smaller, baby-like plates, but make them cute and beautiful looking, that way you have something nice to look at during your meal and the food will seem more pleasant and more filling as you chew slowly and thoroughly. I presently use tea cups and saucers, the tea cups as a soup bowl and their saucers as an actual plate, if you can believe it. And if I pile up that little saucer I find that it's too much and don't do that again. Literally, I can only eat a handful of food at any sitting, so I always try to get some protein in it, even if it's bean soup or puree, which I love, btw.

Remember to chew slowly, chew thoroughly and you will get fuller sooner than you think and that smaller plate will have some leftovers that you couldn't take another bite of, if you can believe it.

Shirley Gretchen I.V.

Most Active