I cancelled my sleeve surgery.

GrnEyedLady
on 7/29/14 12:01 am

WOW!!!! You look wonderful! Thank you so much! I am reschedualing this morning! Had a talk with hubby last night and I am doing what I need to do for me!!!

Anita

pharmagirl_45
on 7/29/14 11:39 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Good for you!

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

mrspetty
on 7/29/14 12:02 am
VSG on 03/26/14

I am *so* glad that you decided to reschedule. It sucks that your family isn't being supportive. And it means a lot that your husband is turning the corner to support you. Just a head's up- it is very common for spouses to (sometimes unconsciously) sabotage after surgery. Just be prepared for that possibility. My husband has been amazing through my entire journey, but he still eats junk and will buy food for me that I can't eat. He means well, but it's hard to have him adding to my ability to stick to plan. I look at those moments as opportunities to be stronger at saying no and re-focusing what my priorities are. 

Also, and I don't know if this is possible for you, but I didn't tell anyone in my family. The only people who knew about my surgery were essentially the people who needed to know. To this day, none of my parents or family members know I had the surgery. (It helps they live in a different state) If it helps, don't talk to your non-supportive family members about this decision. It is about YOU and YOUR health. If they can't support you, they don't get to mess with your mind. 

This is a big decision and I wish you the best in your journey to better health. 

Mary Gee
on 7/29/14 12:21 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Anita - I'm glad you're going forward, and I hope your husband will learn a lot from going to see the surgeon with you.

This is what OH is all about -- supporting one another and sharing our experiences.

Good luck to you!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

D66
on 7/29/14 12:51 am

Awesome news of you re-scheduling your appointment. Give hubby a hug for us. I'm certain his original decision was from fear of the unknown and he doesn't want to see his love go through the procedure. He probably had a visual based on what others were saying about your decision.

You got this...The biggest step was taking the first one. You're not alone and never will be. You have supporters far and wide. Just reach out when in doubt. 

Keep us posted and wishing you all the best!

Tracy D.
on 7/29/14 1:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you are so easily swayed emotionally by what your family thinks, then you aren't ready for this surgery - period.  And that's OK, you shouldn't proceed with this until you are physically and mentally ready to take all the actions needed to be successful.  And being able to stand up for yourself, your health and what you know to be right is very important!   If you can't do that before surgery what makes you think you'll be successful doing so after surgery?   

So, get your head on straight, figure out what YOU want to do, and keep coming back to these forums.  No one said that you had to be punished like a bad girl and banished from here just because you chose not to have surgery right now.  

All the best...

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cece2014
on 7/29/14 2:06 am

So sad to hear this latest turn of event.  PLEASE reconsider and find resources and support that will help YOU.  Long term effects? obesity has many as well, not to mention the emotional strain that goes along with it.  

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

Cathy W.
on 7/29/14 2:26 am

I'm sad about it too.  There are potential issues with any surgery but as long as you go to a Center of Excellence surgeon (COE), the percentage of issues are low.  If you had a tumor and wanted to have it removed, there would be potential issues as well. 

Unfortunately, many people still carry the negative stigma of weight loss surgery.  Successful surgeries happen every single day but we don't necessarily hear about them.  The focus is on the small minority that had complications - many of them years ago. 

I had my surgery 13 years ago.  I'd have it every year if necessary to enjoy the life I have today.  In fact, I waited so long before having WLS and stayed obese for so many years that now I'm facing knee replacements.  If you don't have any co-morbid conditions now, you will. 

When I had my surgery, I had a very close friend of many years.  She actively tried to talk me out of it.  She wasn't supportive of me doing it at all.  Over the next year after having surgery, she saw how I was losing weight and was much happier.  She had surgery herself! 

While I respect the concern of your mom, husband and daughter have for you, you're the one that carries your excess weight that limits your life.  You need to do what you know is best for you.  Please stay on the forums.  You need us and we're here for you. 

Valerie G.
on 7/29/14 3:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's the thing.  If you keep going, miss your opportunity for surgery and find yourself later unable to get it, you're going to be horribly resentful to them for preventing you when you were able.

On the flip side, if you have complications, you will suffer "I told you so" from them.

Best case scenario - you lose your weight, you're healthy and they learn something positive in the process.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MyLady Heidi
on 7/29/14 3:50 am

I am not even sure what long term side effects they could have seen since the sleeve isn't all that old.  They need to be educated as to how it is to live in your body with your level of uncomfortableness every single day.  Most people really don't understand the actual physical pain MO brings, let alone the emotional pain and baggage.

I hope everyone hops on board and supports you.

Most Active