I cancelled my sleeve surgery.

ladygodiva1228
on 7/28/14 11:40 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

That is awesome.  Sometimes we all need a little tough love to help us make the right decision. 

It sounds like your husband really does want to be supportive, but may not be to sure how to do it and after hearing your daughter and mother be so against is he may have been scared.  Make sure he learns as much as he can.  Has he gone to any appointments with you?

greensleeved
on 7/28/14 11:44 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Congratulations. This is a victory for your health and your sense of self in being able to stick up for your decisions!!!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Gwen M.
on 7/28/14 11:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

YAY!!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jazzycatz
on 7/28/14 11:58 pm - Joppa, MD

I was so happy to read your update! I am glad that you are standing up for yourself and taking back your health. It's time to be just a little selfish. You can do it!

Big hug.

Capulus
on 7/29/14 1:12 am - Little Rock, AR

GOOD ON YOU!

I had a Roux-en-y in June of 2005, no regrets, but I am ALL about education, now!

TheNewT
on 7/28/14 11:33 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

With surgery or without, I hope you find health and get your life back. I have been looking on the forums and going to support meetings and there is one thing I have noticed. No one has regretted getting the surgery, they just wish they had done it sooner. My husband wanted me to wait, try another diet. He said he would do it with me. I put my foot down and said no. I have had enough yo-yo diets. Enough promises of help from people who don't have the same weight loss goals that I do. Enough being borderline for co-morbidities. I am taking my life back. MY life! 

Take your life back from your obesity, from your family, from your fears.

Cernigl1
on 7/28/14 11:36 pm

I did the same thing, only I talked myself out of it!  Now here i am 4 years later going through the process all over again.  Do I regret not doing the surgery 4years about and 50 lbs ago, sometimes, but really I did what was best for me and that is what you need to do.  It is nice that your family cares about you so much but don't ever forget to care about yourself too.  Do what is best for you!!

I am in a better place in my life today than i was 4 years ago so really maybe me post poning the surgery was a way to ensure my success.  Maybe that is all you are doing.  And maybe you will get the weight under control all by yourself.  The choice is yours.

Good luck and God Bless

greensleeved
on 7/28/14 11:43 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I'm concerned that you are letting other (less informed) people make decisions for you. Sometimes you have to have the strength to make an unpopular decision and do what is right for yourself. I hope you are happy no matter what your decision, but I would make sure that it really is YOUR decision. If they said they would support your choice I don't understand why you cancelled.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

zoomom07
on 7/28/14 11:50 pm, edited 7/28/14 11:58 pm

With all due respect to your 23 year old daughter, why, oh why, does every CNA I know think they are a medical expert? I work in healthcare and made a decision to have a sleeve after having worked on the hospital's bariatric floor for over 5 years. In that time, I observed hundreds of patients passing through, the vast majority having few complications and going home and not returning. For the few that did return with complications, the people of those horror stories everyone loves to tell, there were often backstories such as poor health prior to surgery or non-compliance (I'm not saying this is always the case and do not mean to minimize anyone's experience.) People love to look at car wrecks and love to watch reality shows and love to tell you the horror stories they heard from their brother-in-law's neighbor's cousin. Uneventful and healthy is just boring. I am choosing to have surgery with the surgeon whose patients, sucesses and failures, I took care of for years so I am sugar coating nothing. I believe the risks of continued obsesity are musch greater for me than having the sleeve.

You said yourself that you mad this decision " doing what others want and putting myself aside." So don't. Either call them back and un-cancel or take ownership of your decision. You've been educating yourself. If YOU don't want to take the risk, there is nothing wrong with that. Either way, just listen to yourself.

Edited to add: Sorry, I posted before reading though everything. Congratulations on taking things back in your own hands!

pharmagirl_45
on 7/28/14 11:54 pm - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Stop putting yourself last!  You deserve to be happy and health.  My son didn't want me to have surgery either but I had to do what was best for me.  I went from this before pic

to this:

Do it for you!  Good luck

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Most Active