I cancelled my sleeve surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/14 10:48 pm

I don't want to sound harsh but you need to stand up for yourself.If you really want to have surgery you need to speak up and hold your ground.I would ask them what do they think will happen if you do not have the surgery?

Also you can still read on the forum.I would get every bit of information that you can.You deserve to feel good and be healthy. It is not fair for them to tell you what to do. 

I am sure they love you and feel this is the right thing for you to do but it is your body.Sometimes in life you need to put your put down and say it is my turn to be taken care of.I am sure they will still love you even if you have the surgery.

I had RNY in October 2013 and it was the best thing I could have done for myself.I am down 106 pounds.I can do so many things that I couldn't before.I am able to walk for hours and not minutes. I don't have to lie and say I am not feeling well because I am too tired.

Take care. 

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:41 pm

I am setting up a meeting with my Dr. and Husband ( who after the night has said he will support me!) So that will help calm his fears I think! Thank you!

Anita

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/14 12:13 am

Good for you.My husband was not on board a few years ago but now he is glad that I had the surgery.He sees how much happier of a person I am.I am a lot stronger also. 

Gwen M.
on 7/28/14 10:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You are an adult and have the ability to make your own choices about your health.  Why would you let your nay-saying family talk you out of this?  Who gives a flying f*ck if they "see only bad things."  It is YOUR body and YOUR choice.  

Please, even if you don't reschedule RIGHT NOW, please find yourself a therapist so you can work through this.  You should not let other people badger and bully your desired course of action.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:47 pm

Thank you! And I do have a therapist who I will talk to, and I am reschedualing.

Anita

Gwen M.
on 7/28/14 11:49 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

YAY!!!!  You go girl!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Capulus
on 7/28/14 11:23 pm - Little Rock, AR

As much as I totally respect your right to choose, F*CK them.  It actually enrages me to see families not being supportive.  This process has been proven to extend your life by AT LEAST 20 years.  There are countless studies (long term) that show the numerous benefits to you.   Yes, there are side effects, yes there are things you will have to do and maintain for the rest of your life, but I am almost 10 years out and even with the issues I have had, I have no regrets in regards to having the surgery.  You have raised a daughter to adulthood, you have cared for people all your life in your career, and now you are being conned out of caring for yourself.  Step back and look at that from an outside viewpoint.  If you saw that happening to a friend, what would you say?  What would you feel, for her?  It doesn't sound to me like your family is "supporting your choice" at all.  It sounds like they are manipulating you.  Call the surgeon back, reschedule your surgery or at the very least schedule a conversation and have him/her meet with you to discuss the concerns. (possibly with these not supportive family members present.)  Don't quit on yourself.  You are worth it.

I had a Roux-en-y in June of 2005, no regrets, but I am ALL about education, now!

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:29 pm

Thank you everyone for the awesome support!!! After talking with my husband because I was unable to sleep last night, he said he will support whatever decision I MAKE!!! He said he wants me to do what I feel I want to do and for me to just be happy! He said he dosnt want to stop me or be the cause of me not doing the surgery and he will support me! As for the others, their opinion doesn't have as much weight on me as my hubby. So I AM GOING TO RESCHEDUAL IT!!!! Yay! The awesome support you all gave me and some tough love really really helped me to voice what I wanted and needed to do for my health! You all are the very best ever!!!

Anita

TheNewT
on 7/28/14 11:35 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I just saw this.... you took YOUR life back! Congratulations!

Cernigl1
on 7/28/14 11:37 pm

I am so Happy for you!

Most Active