I cancelled my sleeve surgery.

Mary Gee
on 7/28/14 4:46 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Anita, I truly hope you reconsider your decision.  My SO was very opposed to the surgery - was at me all the time not to go forward with it. Well, I've tried every diet known to man/woman - lost weight and always regained.  My health has deteriorated so badly - all due to my super morbid obesity.  Enough!!  I made the decision to have surgery, learned everything I could about it, and proceeded.  I explained to SO that I was doing this because I NEEDED to do it.  And YOU NEED to do it too.  Super Morbid Obesity is life threatening.  Don't put yourself aside to please others.  Take an inventory of your life -- time for Anita to take care of Anita.  

Whatever your choice, I hope things work out for you.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:36 pm

You are right, thank you, this helps!

Anita

TexasTerritory
on 7/28/14 5:38 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I am very sad that you are following your family's advice to you. I cannot believe that they have heard a lot of bad things about WLS. There really aren't that many complications involved. Being obese is much more unhealthy.

It sounds like your quality of life is being affected. You appear to know that you are 'people pleasing' instead of advocating for yourself and your health. Would therapy be an option for you to learn how to take control of your life?

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:37 pm

Thank you, I stood up for myself and all the posts really helped!

Anita

Miss150
on 7/29/14 2:06 am

So, are you saying you've rescheduled your surgery?

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

gram247
on 7/28/14 6:32 pm

Sorry to hear that you cancelled your surgery. I had the gastric sleeve done in 10/11. After all the problems I read about with the other types, I knew I did't want either the ray or the band. The sleeve didn't disrupt the normal path of digestion. Initially some minor issued until I got used to the proper amount of food my stomach would tolerate . To date I lost  over 170 pounds. The last forty through plastic surgery. 

I don't regret having the surgery. Take advantage of the support system on this website before you write off having the wt loss surgery. 

Good luck with your decision.

ladygodiva1228
on 7/28/14 10:24 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Anita hon please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to put your big girl panites back on and tell your husband, daughter, and mother to go pound sand.  They may "love" you, but their love is not going to help you lose weight, eat healthy, live longer, enjoy doing things that you haven't been able to due to do your weight. 

I would pick up the phone and reschedule that surgery.  If your family don't like it to dam bad.  Do they want you to die early?  Do they want you to be unable to things that you enjoy?  Do they want you to continue to be unhealthy?  Do they want to wipe your ass when you can't anymore?

You need to put YOURSELF ahead of them for once.  Yup you could die on the table or have a serious complication, but you could also not wake one morning because you had a heart attack in your sleep, or you could be walking down the street and be hit by a car. 

I don't even know you and I'm mad at your family for talking you out of a life saving surgery.  If your kidneys were failing and you had a donor would your family stop you from having that surgery? 

Sometimes we just have to do what if right for us whether other people like it or not.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

GrnEyedLady
on 7/28/14 11:39 pm

You are sooooo right! I am doing it for my health and sanity!!! I want to feel better about all aspects of my life, my health being #!, meaning putting me 1st at this time! Thank you!

Anita

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 12:03 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I was incredibly sad for you when I read your original post. I am hoping you have had some time to re-thing things and do what is best for you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

chicaletta
on 7/28/14 10:41 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

I'm sorry to hear about your decision. Remember it is not your family who has to carry around the extra weight on a daily basis and it is not your family who has to deal with health issues due to the extra weight. I think they are being totally selfish and they should respect YOUR decision on the steps you want to take with YOUR weight. 

Please continue reading the boards and for all the negative you will hear from some there is triple the amount of positive and so many people here that will support you throughout your journey. 

Most Active