Wondering if this is a good idea or not...questions for the vets of WLS

56sunShine14
on 7/27/14 1:43 am

Since having my band removed last Wednesday, I am on a full liquid diet until I see the surgeon in 10 days.  As everyone else experiences, teh weakness and low energy I realize is part due to just having major surgery and the other is the diet itself.  On top of that, I was on Percocet until yesterday when I removed myself from it.  If anyone recalls, I am highly addicted to Percocet and have been on Tramadol for almost a year now after being on Percocet for 3 years.

So, along with the other two reasons for how I was feeling, I was having withdrawal shakes throughout my body.  Still having little tremors today but not so bad.

Here are my questions to you vets:  after being on clear liquids and then full liquids since Thursday, I have to take meds for arthritis and anxiety when I get up in the morning.  Along with Tramadol (and flexeril later on), all this is just too much for an empty stomach! I am so shaky every morning (it's normal for me) that I have to have something quickly and preparing something is too lengthy for my shaking.  I have gone shopping and picked up lots of low carb, low sugar soups with some protein.  Question - since cream of tomato soup is on my diet list, could I substitute it for chili to get more protein or is that more a puree food?  Question, if I opt for something solid like a protein bar when I first get up, is that a really bad thing to get something solid in my stomach before taking the meds?  I do know that is not on a full liquid diet and I really do not want to cheat.  But, am at a loss here.  I did this yesterday and today and it really helps me with the full liquid part as I get through the day eating less of the diet and drinking more water and fluids.

Since it was LB removal, it is not the same as taking care of a freshly stapled stomach.  Your opinions are valued and seriously needed.  Am I really being bad here, full of bs or is this feasible?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Amy R.
on 7/27/14 2:19 am, edited 7/27/14 2:23 am

I'd talk to your doc asap tomorrow morning (I know that doesn't help much right now - sorry). 

I also could not always stay with liquids only during those phases of my pre and post op eating plans, although it was for different reasons than you have.  My surgeon made some exceptions for me, I didn't get to completely pass by the liquid periods, but there were days when I was allowed certain things if my condition was getting out of control.  If I hadn't asked for and received some small changes, I probably wouldn't have made it through those officially "liquid" days.

As an aside, I totally empathize with the taking meds on an empty stomach situation.  That is one of the most difficult things ever.  Fortunately there is an end is sight.  Any hopefullly you'll get a little leeway from your surgeon.

As tempting as it would be to substitute say, chili for the tomato soup, I wouldn't do anything at this point without medical advise.  Also, tomato is an acidic food, so it may actually be making your stomach discomfort worse to be eating tomato soup.  Just a thought.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

amy

edited to add:  I just re-read your post and realized you said you were allowed full liquids. For most folks, that includes a lot of things that you wouldn't necessarily think of as "liquid", including yogurt and such.  Yogurt would probably feel better on your sore tummy than anything tomato based.  You might want to ask what others consider as examples of full liquids.  I'm so far out that I can't remember all of the choices, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.=)

artist4life92768
on 7/27/14 3:14 am - Jackson, MI
VSG on 01/05/15

Hi Karen! I'm so glad to hear you had your surgery! I hope you feel better soon! I am still going on with the process and still see the shrink on a weekly basis, a 40 mile one way trip! I am hoping that I will be reimbursed for my gas through my insurance. The 5th is going to be a BIG day! I have a nutrition class, then a meeting with the NUT, and then, an ultrasound on my heart. I will be over at Borgess for about 8 hours, luckily, I can entertain myself with reading and games on my tablet. LOL

Let me know if you hear anything about getting further surgery. I always think of you!

56sunShine14
on 7/27/14 3:41 am

Hey artist...I will keep you up.  And good luck on your doings as well!  We are getting somewhere aren't we?  :)

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

kathkeb
on 7/27/14 4:37 am

You should track your mileage for tax purposes, but I have never heard of Insurance reimbursing for gas used to get to an appointment.

Honestly, 80 miles is probably about 10-12 dollars worth of gas, less in some vehicles.

Kath

56sunShine14
on 7/27/14 1:07 pm

???

Karen

56sunShine14
on 7/27/14 3:39 am

Thank you for your advice Amy R, I will call them tomorrow and ask for their help.  I know he wants me to lose 50 pounds before being sleeved and I want it so badly I will lose the weight!  But I do need to ask them about this.

Karen

kathkeb
on 7/27/14 4:40 am

Can you have a pre made shake in the morning, so yo can take it right away with no prep?

i don't mean to be harsh or mean, but I know that my food issues work in my head to convince me to bend and break rules.

It sounds like you are trying to justify advancing your meal plan.

If you must have something more substantial than a shake, maybe 1/2 a yogurt (4 small bites) to get something in your stomach before the meds, then back to liquids.

Kath

poet_kelly
on 7/27/14 5:21 am, edited 7/27/14 5:22 am - OH

If you don't want to take your meds on an empty stomach (I wouldn't either) then have a full liquid with them - yogurt, sugar free pudding, a protein shake, etc.

Chili is definitely not a full liquid and isn't necessarily even pureed unless you puree it yourself.

I would call your surgeon's office in the morning, explain the issues you're having, and ask what you can safely do.  Until then, eat some yogurt or pudding or a protein shake when you take your meds.

I wanted to add that I don't know if advancing your diet this soon would cause any physical problems or not.  It might, it might not.  Your surgeon is the best person to answer that.  But I think that changing your plan this early without consulting your doctor can set you up for failure down the road, even if it doesn't cause physical problems, because it gets you in the habit of doing what you want even if it's not really advisable.  Know what I mean?  On the other hand, getting in the habit of working closely with your doctor to manage your diet and other issues is a really good habit to get into.  It sets you up for success.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

56sunShine14
on 7/27/14 1:14 pm

Very good advice Kelly.  I really am not trying to advance my diet or go against the rules. I was very good about following the band rules and know that I will be just as good with the sleeve.  My fridge is full of frozen and refrigerated goodies for this diet and my pantry is full of soups. I was very careful of the numbers on the labels of everything I bought so I know following the plan will not prove to be a challenge.  But the surgeon really is the only one who can answer my questions so will call them tomorrow.

Karen

Most Active