Low energy on Pre-op diet

Mymechelle
on 7/26/14 1:26 pm

I'm on day 4 of my 7 day liquid diet and my energy level in low and feeling light headed. I'm allowed to have protein drinks, water, broth, SF popsicles, and SF jello. I'm taking my vitamins as well. I called my NUT yesterday and she told me that I may be feeling this way from not having enough carbs in my diet. She told me to add skim milk in to my list of drinks/food. Since adding milk I'm no longer light headed but I'm still without energy. I'm scared that this feeling will continue for months after surgery. Anyone experience the same during pre-op diet?

Sue M.
on 7/26/14 1:47 pm
VSG on 07/23/14

I only felt light headed a little, but I lacked energy. Those 7 days were really hard for me, but I made it through. The last day on clear liquids only was tough. I had my surgery on 7/23 and I'm feeling pretty good. The best thing is I am not hungry. I was super hungry during those last 7 days, but now I am not at all.

VSG 7/23/2014

jls8288
on 7/26/14 2:15 pm

I had the same problem pre-op. I had a headache, dizziness, and tiredness for the week I was on the liquid diet. I was so afraid that I'd be miserable forever! Luckily for me post op I felt sick for the first 2 days, but after that I was tolerating foods well, and my body adjusted to the no carb/low calorie liquid diet. As I gradually started adding pureed, then soft, then regular foods, my body needed time to adjust at each transition point, but the nausea and dizziness lasted only a day or two in between changing from one food to the next. I'm now 7 months out and have no problems at all! :) 

Hang in there, I promise it will be 100% worth the discomfort. 

AnnyBananny
on 7/26/14 10:41 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

As the other two posters mentioned - your experience is pretty typical for the liquid diet. I had TWO WEEKS of it and it was pretty miserable, although at about day 5 I felt more used to it. But the great part is it is highly unlikely that you'll feel this way post-op. I will say that by about 2 weeks post-op I was really missing the chewing and ritual of eating, but physically it was fine. Be prepared for the mental part and you'll do great!

Remember - it will be worth it! It will be worth it! It will be worth it!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

gtrdyfor50
on 7/27/14 12:36 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Ditto the others, it is pretty common during this time. Hang in there.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/27/14 4:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I also felt this way until about day 6 and then got some energy. I have no scientific proof of my theory, but I liken it to quitting smoking.  When you first stop, you feel miserable.  You feel tired, irritable and sometimes even sick -- coughing and hacking. I think it's the body first clearing out toxins and secondly trying to convince you to go back to the addictive substance.  I think detoxing from carbs (basically what the pre-op/liver shrinking/glycogen diet is) is very similar: your body releasing while trying desperately to convince you to get the addictive substance back in. Again, just my take on it -- but I will say your feelings are pretty typical.  Stay strong. I swear it's worth it. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

pebtash
on 7/27/14 6:04 am
VSG on 11/25/14

I don't have to do that until late Oct. or Nov. but if that is how your feeling i'm dreading it. I have to do for 2 weeks. Good Luck.

teri0021
on 7/27/14 6:22 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

Hi all!
My very good friend said she switched Protein drinks to Premier Nutrition (sold primarily at Costco).  30g protein low carb and sugar.  She said it helped her hunger and energy as there is a ton of protein in them.  Her NUT said they were fine.  I drank them when I had my lap band and loved them.  Vanilla and Choc.  I'm having revision surgery in August and plan to drink them then as well.  Good luck!!!

Large_1
on 7/27/14 6:23 am
with

Not looking forward to my 4 week liquid diet!

Mymechelle
on 7/27/14 8:42 am

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and setting my mind at ease. Today has been a good day, more energy than previously. Three days until surgery!!!!

Most Active