steps to getting WLS

Goalkeeper5
on 7/26/14 12:54 pm

I want to get the surgery what are my stes in doing so?

jenorama
on 7/26/14 2:39 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Your steps are going to be dictated by your insurance requirements and your surgical program requirements. I advise contacting your insurance provider first to see what they need from you and if they have a surgical program they recommend. 

Good luck!

Jen

Chelley0285
on 7/26/14 5:11 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

I agree that you start with your insurance policy. Many do not cover bariatric surgery. Knowing what your policy says will steer you in the direction you need to pursue. If you don't have health insurance or your policy does not cover WLS, then there are other avenues such as medical credit companies; however, not all physicians or hospitals accept payment from medical credit companies. Not all credit unions or banks will loan money for medical procedures either. Once your ability to pay for the surgery has been nailed down, then you need to start searching for a surgeon which can be a daunting task. You can always go through the folks at ObesityHelp to link you to doctors in your area, check websites like healthgrades or vitals to see how patients have rated doctors but beware b/c sometimes it's the office staff rating the doc! The best way to check a doctors credentials is to call the state medical licensure board where he/she practices and ask if the license is in good standing and if not why which will clue you into those who have been found guilty of malpractice and/or have corrective action or restrictions on their license. Another great way to find out about a particular doctor is to talk to people who have used that physician through forums like this or others. I also recommend learning about the different surgical procedures via the internet and watching videos on sites like YouTube both actual surgeries and patient testimonies. Once you've done your homework and have decided if WLS if for you, the next step is to book your consultation appt with the physician of choice and start their required per-requisites for surgery if they accept you as a surgical candidate.  Best wishes.

fri38cy
on 7/27/14 2:34 pm

My insurance didn't cover the surgery.  I was self pay  I took our a loan to pay for my surgery.

MsBatt
on 7/28/14 4:31 am

Do you have a copy of your insurance policy? If so, read it carefully. Many exclude treatment for obesity, yet do cover treatment for morbid obesity.

Research ALL FOUR forms of WLS---LapBand (which I can't recommend to anyone), VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and my personal favorite, the DS/duodenal switch. Each works in a different way, will ask different behaviours from you, and give different long-term results. You really can't make an informed decision unless you understand them all.

Once you decide which form is best for you, seek out a surgeon highly experienced in doing the procedure YOU want. Not all surgeons do all procedures, and it's a rare surgeon indeed who will advise you to go elsewhere for a surgery he doesn't do himself. (That would be like the Ford dealer telling you to go across the street and buy a Cadillac.)

Most Active