Panniculectomy - Now I wear a larger pant size???

antebellum1812
on 7/28/14 3:06 pm

Hi -

I am 7 weeks post-op from a panniculectomy with an anchor cut.  The swelling is down considerably (it just depends on the day).  I was a size 10 in my jeans prior to surgery.  I am now a size 14.  I have not gained any significant weight since surgery.  

Based on reading the messages of others, most people lose a size or two.  

I lost all of my weight through diet and exercise, and did not have bariatric surgery.  However, this seems to be one of the best resources as it relates to these surgeries.  

My doctor's office had supposedly obtained additional authorizations for the thighs, breasts, and arms.  However, I am now being told that these do not exist.  

Though the skin in this area is a higher quality, and I am considerably flatter, I am just baffled that I have gained 2 jean sizes.  I thought for sure that this would be a positive change in my life.  Instead, I feel as if things are just worse.  I did all this work for nothing, and I now consider myself to be freakish looking.  

Did anyone else experience a gain in their jean size?  The rest of my pants are too big in the waist, but (of course) just right in the legs.  

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks - Denise

Ladytazz
on 7/29/14 3:38 am

As I recall (it's been over 10 years) my size didn't change but my clothes fit much better and were less tight around my waist.

That said, are you still swelling?  I had a lot of swelling for several weeks, although not at 7 weeks if I recall.  I did have drains and they did put out a lot and if I remember correctly I had those suckers in for at least 2 weeks, if not longer.

Other then that, as long as you haven't put on weight then I don't know why your size would change.

One thing I remember though.  When I was much younger, I weighed about 135 and I wore a size 3.  Of course back in the 80s a size three was different then a size 3 now.  In fact, they don't even seem to make that size.  But I digress.

I gave birth to my son and killed myself for a year and got back down to 135 lbs, went into the garage and pulled out those size 3s as my reward for all my hard work and they didn't even get past my legs.  Apparently pregnancy did a real number on my body.  Even at the exact same weight I couldn't wear a smaller size.

So the body is a strange thing and who knows how it reacts to what.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you are really swelling or holding fluids.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Mell
on 7/29/14 4:45 am

I did not even get out of my yoga pants or a sundress for over 2 months. It is the swelling, I promise, I had 10 pounds removed with an anchor cut last July. Plus I noticed right after surgery my hips and rear really swelled (Like that area needed any help!). I would say it was probably 3 or 4 months before I was able to wear my old stuff, then at 6 months a smaller size and now I am two sizes down, I have lost an additional 15lbs. 

What I notice most now is my side profile is awesome! And my skin and circulation are all improved, I feel better but honestly it was nearly a year before I really could say it was worth it...and some days I have my doubts.  Remember that your body is different you will need to shop for different cuts of clothing. I am exhausted from it, first I was overweight my whole life I knew what looked good and what size I was, then I lost the weight and had this huge panni that I had to hide, I figured that out, now I have a completely new body, I currently own only one pair of jeans!! It drives me insane but I just keep trying on different jeans when I have time.

Good luck I promise it gets better it really does take time, consider posting on the plastic board there are tons of people out there that went through the same thing.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

antebellum1812
on 7/29/14 11:49 am

Thank you so much for the replies.  My abdomen is still in a lot of pain.  Even my doctor is a little surprised that I still can't fit into my jeans.  I will chalk it up to swelling for right now.  My PS did a lot of extra work, repairing torn muscles and ligaments.  And I swear...all the swelling has gone to my hips and rear as well.  I am literally a shape that I have never been in my life.  

I was starting to think this was worth the trouble, but I am not really sure.  I had told my doctor that I did not want this surgery unless the thighs had also been approved.  I was told that they were approved.  I am now finding out that there are no additional authorizations for surgeries that I have scheduled.  I am livid.

I do know what you mean about having to find all new clothing brands, etc.  Trying to clothe what is basically an alien body at this point is a real hassle.  

How do I get to the plastic board?

Thanks,

Denise

Mell
on 7/30/14 12:51 am

To get to the board just go to Forums and select "see all" and you will see it. I was in pain for a while like 6 months and felt like an alien for months. It does get better it just takes time. 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Most Active