someone who had WLS HELP!

Goalkeeper5
on 7/25/14 1:44 pm

Hi

So I'm pretty new here. I've been wanting to get WLS for awhile now. I weigh 280 right now. I have gotten PCOS because of obesity.  I tried to talk to my new doctor about getting the surgery and she told me I need to loose weight first and that my insurance needs to see that I have tried anyway. So she has this nurse that is recently helping me. But I've gone through many diets and lifestyle changes. Its not helping me me loose much, maybe a few pounds here and thwre. I got a sleep study and the result is that I have mild sleep apnea. They gave me a CPAP machine and I hate it. I dont pay for my insurance because I work part time and I'm a full time student.  So I have obama care. But I dont know what I need to do from here on out. I really need help.

Cece2014
on 7/26/14 12:18 am

Hello - OH is a great place to get info, support and ideas.  My advice is to find a program that supports you in all phases of the journey: education, lifestyle changes, counseling, as well as post-op support.  Search for a Center of Excellence near you to see what their program looks like and you will probably get a better idea.  Surgery is a tool to aid in weight loss and improved health, it is not a cure in itself.

Here's my program as FYI:  http://www.valleycare.com/service-weight-loss-surgery-program.aspx

Good luck to you

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

Goalkeeper5
on 8/1/14 7:49 pm

Thanks

I guess all the center of excellence I call they want a referral from my MD.

DataJ0ck
on 7/26/14 12:21 am
VSG on 12/26/13

If you go to a seminar at a Center of Excellence, as recommended above, they will go over your insurance and find out exactly what you need to do. Each insurance is different so there is no way to tell you what you need to do without the review. 

Cathy W.
on 7/26/14 4:36 am

The Affordable Care Act doesn't cover WLS.  There are healthcare lending companies that will make loans for weight loss surgery.  Their terms are pretty good.  If you want information on them, contact Member Services.

MsBatt
on 7/26/14 6:31 am
On July 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM Pacific Time, Cathy W. wrote:

The Affordable Care Act doesn't cover WLS.  There are healthcare lending companies that will make loans for weight loss surgery.  Their terms are pretty good.  If you want information on them, contact Member Services.

This is inaccurate. It depends on which state one lives in. The OP's coverage may or may not cover WLS.

Cathy W.
on 7/26/14 6:35 am

That is good to know.  I'm glad to be wrong.  Everyone that has contacted us that's been covered by the ACA has not been able to obtain coverage for WLS. 

Thanks!

TexasLady52
on 7/26/14 4:42 am
Revision on 06/10/14

A lot of WLS centers will help with the supervised diet your insurance requires.  Each insurance has different requirements on the length of the supervised diet.  I was very fortunate to work in the same building with a dietician.  She helped me with the papers I needed.

Most Active