Nervous about the Two Week Liquid Diet beginning Aug. 4! Help!

TonyaBoo1112
on 7/26/14 8:26 am

Ok... So I'm nervous and excited about my decision and new journey forth coming for the Sleeve. I need help and encouragement for the 2 week diet that I will beginning soon! Any suggestions or tips to make the pre-op diet a successful one? Also.. I'm looking for some tasty protein shakes too! 

Adoptionmama
on 7/26/14 12:10 pm

Hi there!  Congratulations on your decision for the sleeve.  I have my surgery this Tuesday, July 29th. I am VERY nervous and excited all at the same time.  I have been on a two week liquid diet.  I can have protein shakes, LF cream soup with protein powder, SF jello, broth, Crystal Light, etc.  Not much fun.  A few things you asked about...1) the liquid diet isn't too bad once you get through the first few days.  For me, the second day was awful!  After that, it wasn't too bad.  The worst part is the sweet on top of sweet on top of sweet.  I have been very thankful for broth.  I have had beef broth, chicken broth, and Mexican tortilla soup broth (too spicy for me-yikes).  I have to be on a liquid diet for 3 weeks post-op so it is going to get REALLY boring). 2) Don't cheat...it is really hard not to do but chances are, you will want to.  Resist the urge.  What I have learned in the past two weeks has been crazy!!!  In the past, I have often not been hungry but rather it has been head hunger.  I bored, I eat...I'm stressed, I eat...I'm happy, I eat...I'm sad, I eat.  You will hear people talk about head hunger.  Definitely true for me and I would assume many others.  With this two week pre-op diet, you will certainly learn how much head hunger plays a role in our eating. 3) As far as shakes...don't buy a lot pre-op.  I have been told your taste buds change after surgery so don't go crazy.  I bought EAS vanilla protein powder (from Walmart) and Unjury unflavored protein powder, from my doctor's office, to add to broths, soups, and puddings.  I have learned that I do NOT like mixing my own shakes.  It is a texture thing and I cannot seem to get it blended, even with a good blender, so that it is not gritty but not foamy either.  I am sticking to pre-made shakes.  I personally only like the chocolate flavors.  I like the Premier Protein shakes from Walmart/Sams/Costco.  They tend to be a bit expensive more expensive than some others but you can find coupons online and Walgreens has them on sale periodically.  They are low in carbs (sugars) and fats and 30g of protein per 11 ounce carton.  Hopefully my taste buds won't change too much after surgery because I definitely like these the best.  In addition, I have used the EAS AdvantEdge (100 calories and 17 g of protein) and SixStar Protein shakes (180 calories and 20 g of protein).  Any ready made shake is easy to grab and gowhich is nice as a mom of 6 and 3 year old girls (I don't want to have to think to hard) :)  I like my shakes REALLY cold, almost icy.  4) Find a good support network.  Whether it is other patients who have had WLS, supportive friends, your family, your kids, this group, support groups at your doctor's office, it is important to have support. If you have negative nellies in your life who are against your decision, you need to surround yourself with those who are supportive and ignore the others for a while.  Remember, you are doing this to be a better and healthier you. 

Again, congratulations on your decision and I wish you all the best! 

kathkeb
on 7/26/14 12:56 pm

I have done liquid diets a few times.

The best advice I have is to mentally prepare for the first few days to be toughest.

You are clearing sugar and possibly caffeine from your system .... Expect headaches and be prepared for them.

I found that having a cup of tea in the evening was soothing .... And tried to make time for a bubble bath with a good book or magazine .... That would distract and relax me.

If you live with other people, ask them to help with meal prep and especially clean up so you can stay out of the kitchen.

Sugarfree breath mints can be a lifesaver when you don't want to eat.

Also, brushing and flossing can have a positive impact on cravings.

Keep your eyes on the prize .... This will be pass and eventually be a blip in time compared to the whole journey!!!

Kath

teri0021
on 7/27/14 6:33 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

I drank Premier Protein shakes (Costco).  They have 30g of protein.  When I had my lap band surgery a few years ago (I don't have it anymore, it eroded) I relied on them a lot.  Now that I'm revising to either the VSG or RNY (haven't made up my mind), I have bought plenty.  They actually taste good!  I'm headed into my 2 week liver shrinking diet here soon.  I'm nervous too!  Hang in....just think of your new journey on the other side!

Most Active