Constipation after surgery

Mcr57
on 7/26/14 6:13 am

Hi, I am 4 days post op. I am still on clear liquids, protein drinks. As I am sipping these I feel very bloated and wonder if it is unusual to feel like you need to use the bathroom and can't because all I am doing is liquids.  I have mixed Mira- lax in a few of my drinks and still can't so anything but tinkle. 

56sunShine14
on 7/26/14 10:33 am

I can't go until my third or fourth day after surgery.  Drink very warm chicken or vegetable broth, just once or twice in a day.  Also, lot of water-LOTS.  Move around, walk walk walk. This also helps prevent blood clots in your legs.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

MyLady Heidi
on 7/26/14 11:50 pm

Protein is a solid even if its supended in liquid so you should poop, pain meds are super constipating.  I had to use glycerine suppositories in the hospital to go before they would let me leave.  

gram247
on 7/28/14 7:15 pm

One of my friends gave me an herbal tea called SmoothMove. I have a cup after dinner each night and it works well I also that a stool softener 3 times a day. The constipation was worse right after surgery. And only accession ally a problem now.

Hope these help.

Most Active