Taking (or not!) my meds

Cheryl H.
on 7/26/14 12:48 am - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

OK, can I just say YUCK! when it comes to taking my meds all ground up and mixed in something small, like pudding or applesauce...I am gagging and don't want to take anything that way....would it be ok to skip most of my meds until I can take them whole again...like 2 weeks?  It's really bitter and makes me gag!

Cheryl

Karen M.
on 7/26/14 12:58 am - Mississauga, Canada

No, I don't think it would be ok to skip most of your meds for 2 weeks. You can try swallowing them whole or cut in half - many surgeons do not suggest crushing pills. As long as the pills aren't too big (which could then be cut in two?) you may be ok with it.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

hollykim
on 7/26/14 1:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I have been taking all. My. Pills/supplements whole since the day I was cleared from my leak test. I would never get them down. Crushing them.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/26/14 2:19 am - UK

Depends what they are!!  Vitamin tablets, yes. But you might be taking anything! Heart tablets, blood pressure tabs, things which you can only stop after discussion with your doctor! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cathy W.
on 7/26/14 4:31 am

It depends on the medication.  Before you stop taking anything, call your surgeon's office. 

56sunShine14
on 7/26/14 10:40 am

If you want some advice from someone who has crushed mine for 7 years...use very warm coffee or tea, buy some paper 1 oz medicine cups at your grocery, they might call them something else but they are with the paper cups. crush the meds and put into the paper cup.  Get at least 1/4 - 1/2 of it to the back of your tongue and take a swallow of coffee or tea to wa**** down then another to get it all the way down.  MUCH more tolerable that way.  But antibiotics...YUCK...nothing makes that easier.  That just makes me want to puke! 

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

basilmk
on 7/26/14 2:05 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

My surgeon told me that if I could swallow my meds there was no reason to crush them. I've been swallowing them since the day I got home from surgery.

Have you tried swallowing them?

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active