Optifast vs. other presurgery

thisisfor_me
on 7/24/14 10:13 am

Hi! I am pre-op and will begin the pre-surgery liquid diet in a few weeks. My dietician said if cost is a factor I didn't have to buy their Optifast. I could use Carnation Instant Breakfast and protein shakes. Has anyone done this? I know she said it's not as effective as Optifast but does work. Thoughts? Suggestions? Any input helps! Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 7/24/14 10:19 am - OH

Since Carnation Instant Breakfast is high in sugar and low in protein, I don't think it's a good alternative.  but any good protein shake should be fine, I would think.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/24/14 10:28 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I heard Optifast is expensive, I didn't have to use them during the liquid diet, try protein shakes that are low in carbs or protein soups & broths, although the broths I had were way too bland.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

TrulyTeya
on 7/24/14 10:58 am
RNY on 07/15/14

I just recently had surgery on 7/15/2014 and I completed the pre op liquid diet 2 weeks prior. Now my MD and nutritionist gave me guidelines but did not make any specific product mandatory. I used the Carnation Instant breakfast and the Boost high protein shakes ( Both recommended by my nutritionist) and everything worked out fine. I lost 14 lbs prior to surgery. I also had the sugar free popsicles and jello in addition to the shakes and CIB. The doctor said everything went wonderfully with my surgery and there were no problems.  Hope this helps. 

Most Active