Back to school hair problems 2 months after surgery

Dee84
on 7/24/14 2:41 am

Hi everyone, I am 19 and I had the gastric sleeve back in early June, so far everything has been fine and dandy. I lost a significant amount of weight which is great because I start college again in august and I don't feel the need to hide in the back of the classroom because I can only fit half of my body in the desks LOL! Anyways I came here today because, you guessed it, HAIR ISSUES. I had my hair relaxed about 4-5 weeks after my surgery not knowing that I was supposed to wait, which is fine because it hasn't really done anything to my hair. My hair issue is that I REALLY REALLY want to get braids or some type of weave before I go back to school due to the fact my hair does not handle humidity well at all. By the time I go back to school, which is august 25, I will be almost 3 months out and its super frustrating because my mother is telling me not to get braids due to the tension it causes. This is a major problem because at school I am constantly on the move going from building to building SWEATING like a mad man and you can only imagine what sweat will do to my hair. So my question is, what in the world am I going to do with my hair for school?!

Valerie G.
on 7/24/14 5:58 am, edited 7/24/14 5:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're going to wait it out.  Imagine getting some lovely weave or braids that literally start falling out?  You've not yet encountered Telogen Effluvium, which should start in the next month or two and last a few months, hair shedding as new growth emerges.  Get a short, layered cut.  Something that can blend in the new growth as it emerges.  I would be pissed if I spent that much time and $$ to have it start to fall out.

Oh, and before you think you're going to prevent it...you can't.  Vitamins, extra protein and expensive shampoos only benefit the new growth that is pushing out the old.  Don't waste your money

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 7/24/14 6:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I would absolutely NOT do anything to your hair right now.  For many of us, the hair loss kicks into high gear in months 4-5 and then tends to taper off in months 7-8.  So even though you think you dodged the hair loss bullet, the worst of the hair issues may be just on the horizon.  And as someone you lost HALF of her hair between months 5-8 post-op, I wouldn't do anything that would make my hair even more weak or fragile.  

Your momma is wise - listen to her!  Talk to some experts at your salon about other options until your are further out and your hair is stronger.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dee84
on 7/24/14 7:53 am

Sigh, I was afraid I was going to hear that... Thanks!

TheNewT
on 7/25/14 12:12 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Hi! I have natural hair and will get my VSG August 4th. I wouldn't get any braids at this point. The extra tension from installation and the weight of the hair could be enough to pull them out. And like Valerie G said, " Imagine getting some lovely weave or braids that literally start falling out".

I plan to keep my hair twisted and manipulate it at little as possible. I twist my own hair (no extension) and I don't pull tight. That's what I've been doing for the past 2 months to protect my ends and keep it from tangling. Try to come up with some low manipulation styles that do not put to much stress on your hair. Keep your scalp clean and healthy.

Do not waste $ on pills or potions. The Biotin everyone raves about does NOT prevent hair loss. Additionally, you have to drink a LOT of water with Biotin or acne will begin to show... and I mean anywhere. On your face, back, chest, etc. Back acne is not worth an inch of hair in my opinion.

Keep in mind that the hair loss will not last forever. The great thing about hair is that it grows back. And the healthier eating/water drinking you will do definitely aids this process. Good luck!

Dee84
on 7/25/14 1:41 am

This is so frustrating especially when you sweat a lot and away from your beloved beautician :(