What was "THAT" moment when you realized you are in fact obese...

D66
on 7/25/14 2:10 am

I do love my mother....My mother is a mother that really wasn't one to show love. Neither was her mom. Thank goodness I haven't picked up the same behavior over the years.

I've never called my mother out on it for myself but have for my daughter. She made the same type of comment to my daughter once and I came unglued. My daughter is wearing normal sizes. Size 10 a matter of fact. Needless to say, she hasn't commented such behavior about my daughter since our encounter. 

I can't say it's all bad. Her comments has certainly pushed me in a direction of seeking/getting WLS.

Thanks for your comment and support.

Please stay in touch

Darlene

arkloser
on 7/24/14 11:08 am

I have had several "THAT" moments.  First I want to mention that I've been overweight since before I started highschool back in the 1990s.  It also doesn't help that I've always been short, I'm only 5'0"tall, so every pound I put on really shows.  My first "THAT" moment probably came around the time my son started kindergarden.  The first couple years of his life I spent a considerable amount of time at home, raising him and being a housewife and never went to many social functions.  That changed after he started school and I started attending PTA meetings and other school functions.  I was about 265 pounds at that time and I noticed practically from the start that I was a lot bigger around than any of the other mothers and at least 20 -30 pounds heavier than the next biggest mom, It also didn't help that we lived in small town with only about 150 students in his school.  So in a group of about 30 other moms I really stood out because of my size.  I was young andfelt great healthwise at that time and wasn't really motivated to doing anything about my weight at that time.

My next "THAT" moment came about 5 years ago when my weight had ballooned up to 285 pounds and discovered I could no longer squeeze into my size 26/28W Walmart brand jeans, that really made me feel really humongous and made me depressed for several days.  I thought omg I must really be fat if I've outgrown Walmart and I was too broke to shop at places like Lane Bryant.  I was still healthy and too much in love with food to make any lasting lifestyle changes at that time.  So up until my recent weight loss, I started wearing big man clothes that I managed to find in thrift stores and yard sales.  in May of this year I was still wearing mens shorts with a 58" waist before I embarked on my current weight loss journey.  I was at 302 pounds when I started and briefly rose to 307 (my heaviest) before I started having some success.  My goal is to lose 175+ pounds.

D66
on 7/25/14 1:59 am

Thank you for sharing. Have you had WLS yet? 

I was wondering how much you have lost as of now

arkloser
on 7/25/14 7:20 am

No, Not yet.  My pcp has taking adipex which I've been on for about 2 months now. As of yesterday, I weighed 288 lbs. havving lost 19 pounds in the last 7 weeks but perhaps more impressively I've lost 7 inches around my waist.  My clothes are starting to fit much better again.  I've thought about WLS but want to see how much I can lose through lifestyle changes first.

Laura in Texas
on 7/24/14 11:02 pm

I knew I was obese for a while. What brought me to action was the adoption of my second child. I knew I had to be here to raise my girls to adulthood. If I were to remain obese, that would likely not happen. I wanted to be a better mom and get my life back.

Good luck in your journey.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

D66
on 7/25/14 1:59 am

Thank you dear... You look amazing!!

motherof5
on 7/25/14 2:55 am

My first moment was when I looked at my paperwork after a visit to my PCP. On the paper it stated that I was morbidly obese. Man oh man was I livid! I thought she was mucho loco.What are you talking about morbidly obese? At 333 pounds I am morbidly obese? I was totally in denial. I thought a person weighing 600 pounds and not able to move was morbidly obese, not me! Boy, was I wrong. SMH

MY second moment was when my PCP told that I was pre diabetic last year. I mean, its not a secret that I was eating whatever I wanted. I was having a ball. She told me that if I do not improve by the next visit, she will put me on meds for it. I am already taking 3 BP meds and now more. That was it for me then. I stopped the food fest and by the next month, I was far from being pre-diabetic. I also proceeded with my WLS journey.

My real journey starts on August 26th.

Monique

HW: 333  CW:286  GW:175

JUST STRIVING TO TAKE CONTROL!

D66
on 7/25/14 3:59 am

I can so relate to your post and I'm so excited for you.

Can't wait to read up on your progress. Make sure to keep me posted!

If you would like to be friends, send me a request.

Darlene

penguinexplosions
on 7/25/14 4:43 am

my Bmi is right at 40 after having my son 8 months ago and i carry it all in my stomach. i joke that i look pregnant, and it was only a joke until i realized people think i am like 8 months pregnant. i was pushing my son through the park in his stroller and another mom came up to me and was friendly, and during the conversation she asked if i am expecting another. she didn't mean to be hurtful, but i have since realized a lot of people think i am pregnant especially as i am continuing to gain weight... all in my stomach.

arkloser
on 7/25/14 7:37 am, edited 7/25/14 7:39 am

I understand, in the above photo,  at the age 21, I was probably much heavier at 245 pounds and only 5'0" tall with a bmi of 47.3.  It was 2 years before the birth of my first child and most all my friends thought I was about 5 months pregnant.  This was probably really my first "That" moment but was too young to even care at that time.  I went on to gain 60+ pounds in 14 years, mostly in my stomach, before starting my current weight loss journey.  My goal is to lose 175+ pounds from my heaviest weight of 307 pounds.  I would be very pleased to have a bmi of 40 today.