Work Insurance

sonjak64
on 7/24/14 8:56 am

Hi Everyone,

My Work insurance changed this year to EXCLUDE anything related to weight loss.  They won't pay for my fills anymore or any check ups I might have to have.  I am worried if something happens to my band, I will be bankrupt from the medical bills.  Does anyone have a secondary insurance that they use or could recommend?  Thank you!

SusieOl
on 7/24/14 1:38 pm

Can they do that since you had the surgery prior to them changing their policy?

Hislady
on 7/24/14 2:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

Basically you are screwed! This happened to me, hubby's insurance changed to no bariatrics so I ended up having to pay for any fills and unfills at $225 each. I also ended up having to have my band removed (like most eventually do) at my expense because I just couldn't handle the pain anymore. Now I have what seems to be permanent damage to my stomach that still causes daily pain. My advise is at the first sign of anything wrong with it get it out before it does more damage. The band is the worst form of weight loss surgery and I try to warn people ahead of time but many just don't listen, Then they end up like you unfortunately with a lousy tool that doesn't work.

Trying to buy a new policy doesn't work because if it covers bariatrics it's a very expensivr policy. Many also don't cover more than one surgery per life time so even if they covered taking it out they wouldn't cover a revision. Dealing with the insurance companies is a losing battle, they cover themselves very well and can only cover what the employer asks for. I just hope you don't end up like so many of us with problems!

kathkeb
on 7/24/14 3:21 pm

Personally, I have a savings account (a health savings account that I contribute to and my employer contributes to) that I max out in case my band has to come out.

I was self pay 5 years ago, and so far have had no issues.  My doc has a very affordable rate for self-pay, andi pay 50.00 for an office visit, 50.00 more if I have a fill.  At this stage that is 100.00 per year, since I see him once per year for a little fill.

I used to believe that my band would be with me for life, but I don't believe that any  more, so I save for the day it will have to come out.

Kath

Most Active