Eating everything in sight!

Oliviawashere
on 7/22/14 9:37 am

I hate this feeling. I know I am about to embark on the journey to WLS, but it's not in my complete reach yet and I have just been wanting to for better terms instead of "live it up" I want to "eat it up." I'm not satisfied with eating healthy & trying to lose weight before it all begins, instead I want to eat everything like it's my last day. That's not the outlook I'm looking for when I know a huge lifestyle change it ahead of me, I need to control it. I'm hoping the meeting with a psychologist will help me out towards a better journey.

Cheryl H.
on 7/22/14 9:45 am - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

I've been told this is very normal!  I went through the same feelings and basically threw all caution to the wind which made the pre-op diet and carb flushing very very hard.  Have that last hurrah meal but if you can, try not to eat yourself silly.  I am here to tell you, it makes the days leading up to surgery that much more difficult.  OH, BTW, eating protein first, as you will in your after WLS life, really keeps you from feeling hungry.  

Best wishes!

Cheryl

Cheryl

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/22/14 10:11 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Totally understand the wanting to eat it up part!, but try to think of it as not giving up everything forever, just giving it up for a little while. I know if I was told there were certain foods I could never have again, then that's all I would want!, but if I told myself I can have some of those foods later, just not now, it made weaning myself off of them so much easier. That's not to say that I don't crave those foods anymore, but I don't feel like an overwhelming desire to eat them either, & if I do whether it's a lot or a little I pick myself right back up again & move forward. This is a journey. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

BASIMAH02
on 7/22/14 10:55 am - IL

That is absolutely a normal reaction to any life-altering situation. What does the bride and groom do the night before the wedding? Party!!!I didn't go super crazy before my pre-op diet, but I did eat the foods that I knew I would have to pass up after my surgery. I look at it as a going away celebration. But when it was time for my pre-op diet to start, I was diligent because I got all the cravings out of my system beforehand. Now this is my personal experience, but I know someone will probably nit-pick my post apart anyway. 

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

TheNewT
on 7/22/14 11:21 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I made my food rounds before my pre-op diet...except the last day. That day I said to myself, "You are not saying good bye forever to all of these foods. You are saying hello to foods that you have ignored for several years. And if you have to say goodbye forever to french fries, is that so bad? You've eaten fried potatoes in every form possible. It's OK to not have anymore".

After that conversation I felt much better and was ready to hit the ground running!

eringudge
on 7/24/14 10:13 am
RNY on 07/28/14

I am halfway through my liquid diet right now, but last week I chose one thing each day that I knew I would miss and had that, either a dinner or a treat. 

At some point I'll be able to eat those things again, but not right now and not for a while. 

If you are just starting out, the beginning can be tough. I actually gained a pound or two from stress eating before my informational session, then started to lose pretty quickly once I got my mind into the right place and gave myself a talking to. :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/24/14 10:36 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Having "food funerals" before WLS is very common.  Our brains freak out thinking that we'll never get to eat these foods again.  If you're having a VSG, you will probably be able to eat anything you did prior to surgery.  The question is, should you?  It's different for people with the RNY as they can have dumping syndrome if they eat certain foods.

We fatties have an emotional relationship to food that normal people do not.  Seeking therapy is a great step in the right direction.  It's great that you're able to recognize and express what you're feeling now.

I tell myself that I've eaten enough cheeseburgers and fries to last anyone a lifetime.  I seriously don't have those intense cravings for certain foods since I've had surgery.  The few times I've eaten what I've deemed "verboten", I've eaten very small quantities that amount to basically a taste.  I don't have to eat the entire left side of the menu anymore.  Be good when you're on your pre-op diet and try to work on your food issues now.  It will help you in the long run.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active