Please help-pre surgery weight loss

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/14 5:23 am

Hi.

I just found out that my surgeon will not operate on anyone over 60 BMI.  My BMI is 74.  I will have to lose 70 lbs on my own before I can have the surgery.  That seems daunting and quite frankly, impossible.  

They say it is a safety thing because of anesthesia which I understand but I have gone under before around the same weight and never had any issues.

How am I going to lose 70 lbs by myself?  I can hardly walk most days because of the pain.  Has anyone else had this hurdle to go through?

poet_kelly
on 7/21/14 6:54 am - OH

I would ask your surgeon how to lose the weight.  Are you working with a registered dietician?  Not a nutritionist, but a registered dietician, who has a degree and a license.  I would do that.  An RD can help you devise a meal plan that will help you lose the weight.

Of course, you also have the option of looking for another surgeon that won't require so much pre-op weight loss.  The less you weigh, the safer surgery is, though.  Even if some surgeons are willing to operate on someone with your BMI, it would still be safer to lose as much weight as you can before surgery.

I know how daunting the idea of losing 70 lbs would have been to me pre-op, though.  That's why I suggest working with a professional that can help you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 7/21/14 9:46 am, edited 7/21/14 9:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's more likely their equipment is not suited for a patient of your size (they had weight limits) or he lacks skill and confidence.  Seek another opinion, and consider the Duodenal switch as a procedure for the best rate of weight loss.  It's highly recommended for those with a BMI of 50+

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AndreaB73
on 7/23/14 9:40 am

Just curious... What's a duodenal switch?

Most Active