Very slow weight loss with vsg

drmroth
on 7/24/14 7:12 am

Wow... I must have touched a button. The reason I asked is because I thought (and was told) that someone had to be 100 lbs overweight in order to qualify for WLS. So to answer your question what makes me more qualified for WLS - I was more than 100 lbs overweight.

My question was not one of judgement but of ignorance. I was obviously misinformed.

Jll0526
on 7/22/14 12:06 pm

Thanks Gwen that does make me feel better and I will work on getting my water up I appreciate the advice, also I had wls because of blood pressure and apnea issues :) 

Gwen M.
on 7/22/14 9:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You can do it :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mary Gee
on 7/22/14 9:51 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'm so glad you posted!  I had surgery 5/14, and have been losing slowly, although I do seem to be losing inches.  My ticker reflects total weight loss, including pre-op.  

I, too, can drink water freely and don't normally feel restriction - although I've had two episodes where I ate too fast and too much and boy, did I pay for it!

Tracy and Gwenmo gave really great responses - thanks to them for that.  I'm going to make some changes -- making sure I limit dense protein to 2-3 oz. at a time, and making sure I space my meals/snacks properly.  Also, I'm going to make one of my snacks a protein shake so I get more protein in.  And I'm going to get some samples of unflavored protein to add into yogurt or cottage cheese.  And I'm going to weigh and measure everything that passes my lips.

Again, thanks for posting - I am so thankful I found OH - the information and support is overwhelming.

Good luck on your continued success.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Jll0526
on 7/22/14 11:34 pm

Mary I use the new whey protein shots, they are a little less than 4oz and have 42g of protein and don't taste too bad. Give it a try, I use one a day and you can buy them at Walmart for 2.50 each 

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/14 11:39 pm

I started at a couple pounds heavier than you and am 8 weeks out Friday. I follow my plan religiously and don't cheat. I exercise 3x a week now and am going to rev it up. I have only lost 23 pounds since surgery. I try not to compare myself to anyone else because I will get discouraged. My doc is happy with my progress and when I voiced my concerns about my slow weight loss, he told me what another poster said. Your starting weight was relatively low. You are not  going to lose as quickly as someone who started out say 100 pounds heavier than you. Try taking measurements instead of stepping on the scale. I know this has helped me. I have not lost much weight really but I have lost 5 1/2 inches on my waist alone. I'm super happy about that. I hope this helps and good luck on your journey.

Jll0526
on 7/22/14 11:45 pm

Thank you ro, I will invest in a tape measure :)  I appreciate all the support and hearing how everyone is doing. I'm just sticking to the plan and eating right. It really helps to have a group of others that know what I'm going through 

willspear
on 7/23/14 12:19 am
VSG on 06/23/14

I'm a month out vsg and I barely get 400 calories down while trying like hell to stay hydrated. 

I can can eat maybe 2 thin slices of deli chicken or turkey totaling maybe 1-1.5oz or a chz stick. I can eat perhaps 4oz of Greek yogurt. 

It takes me half an hour to get down a shake. 

Not sure of your height but I'm going to hazard a guess you have 40-50lbs give or take to lose total. The common theme I see is around 5-6 month people who are compliant generally lose half of their extra tonnage. 

Where you are a relative "lightweight" that number probably scales. Where I'm a giant lard ball I lose a lot of weight faster but proportionally it's probably similar. 

chevtow41
on 7/24/14 7:33 am
DS on 11/11/14

I always wonder how people know how much they can eat at one time. Why test it? 

TruemansMom
on 7/24/14 8:40 am
VSG on 06/24/13

so you are aa "light weight" and we lose more slowly than larger people. An interesting way to look at is not pounds lost but percentage of total weight lost. Do that math and you might be suprised at how well you are actually doing!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Most Active