Phase 2 Pre-Op Diet

DeafNatural
on 7/21/14 8:32 am - Winter Haven
RNY on 08/06/14

So I started phase 2 if my pre-op diet with surgery a little over 2 weeks away but I have some questions about protein.

I am not on an all liquid diet (thank goodness)! And I am supposed to be eating lean proteins for dinner. I have some protein left from my former life that I didn't give away because I felt I might be able to use it but I was curious to see what you all say. One of the things I have is some fish and I was wondering if there was a certain type of fish that was more lean than another or if any type of fish was fine? Second, I have some canned beans (kidney and black) and I was curious if I wash all the juices off would that be ok for eating. I also have Publix All Natural ground turkey but it doesn't say how lean. According to MyFitnessPal it says 94% lean. Is this ok to eat for this phase? Is this the same for ground beef? Lastly, I am making fish for dinner tonight and was wondering if it is ok to use a little salt or do I just leave it plain or use something else for seasoning? I had another question but it skips my mind right now.

Sorry to bombard you guys with questions but by the time I come from work the doc's office is close and I know this is part of shrinking the liver for surgery so I want to make sure I do right. Thanks for your patience and response.

High: 385 lbs     Start: 376 lbs           Current: 328.5 lbs.         Goal: 125 lbs

“The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.”  -Steve Maraboli

Hislady
on 7/21/14 9:30 am - Vancouver, WA

I would think they would all be fine as far as being lean. I think when they say lean they are probably talking more about not eating big fat stesks with a 1 inch slab of fat all the way around. Some fish are more fatty than others but in general are pretty lean and the fat in them is good for you but you could google whatever type of fi**** is to find out for sure. Beans have alot of carbs but aren't fatty, there are some awesome recipes for bean burgers or bean loaf (like meat loaf). Again turkey isn't supere fatty either. I don't use salt but mix up herbs  for seasoning. You are so lucky, I had to do a 30 day skim milk diet blech! Good luck to you!

DeafNatural
on 7/21/14 1:59 pm - Winter Haven
RNY on 08/06/14

That steak sounds really yummy right now haha. 

Thank you for your response. I used a salt-free Italian seasoning blend I had and it was delicious. I am going to have to look up those recipes. I love bean burgers. I am very happy I don't have to be on all protein. My pre-op diet only calls for about 2 a day (1 whole one and 2 halves). 

I thought I was going to be starving today but surprisingly I wasn't. I was relieved. Though it did seem like there were more food commercials on TV than normal 

High: 385 lbs     Start: 376 lbs           Current: 328.5 lbs.         Goal: 125 lbs

“The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.”  -Steve Maraboli

Most Active